Tamiya 1/48 Lockheed P-38 H Lightning

This model kit faithfully recreates the H variant of the Lockheed P-38! This limited-edition variant of the 1/48 P-38 Lightning masterpiece kit, will only be sold in a white box format. New parts are included specifically for this kit to depict the P-38H, a variant which was produced from May 1943 and were given an improved 20mm cannon, as well as a bomb payload capacity of 1,500kg. More powerful 1,400hp engines were paired with intercoolers and radiators from previous variants.

1286459-65525-41-pristine.jpg

tamp38h__89797.1589976242.PNG?c=2&imbypa

·         1/48 scale plastic model assembly kit. Fuselage length: 240mm, wingspan: 330mm.

·         This kit creates a parked aircraft.

·         New parts specific to P38H variant:  Larger supercharger intakes, rear canopy without reinforcing frames, instrumentation, nose landing gear strut and bay covers, main landing gear reinforcements, upgraded 20mm cannon and 12.7mm machine guns that were often modified on the ground, plus turbocharger coolant pipe.

·         Choose whether to attach optional main landing gear air duct.

·         Weights are included in the kit to ensure correct balance of the model when displayed.

·         A detailed cockpit features the wheel-type controls, radio, throttle box and more.

·         1 marking option is included, depicting an aircraft with lively nose art and belonging to the 432nd Fighter Squadron, part of the 475th Fighter Group that was devastatingly effective from 1943-44 over the Pacific.

·         Plain white box with a color label on the lid. One Shot Production Run!

·         Comes with canopy masking stickers and a full-color painting guide.

5 hours ago, Whiskey said:

So I guess it wouldn't be a stretch to believe that Tamiya won't be mass producing L and J versions of the H is only a limited edition release.

I’m not understanding your logic, why wouldn’t Tamiya release a L/J if the H is only a limited edition??  Maybe they’ll bang out an H, and then move on to the J and L?

2 hours ago, Corey said:

I’m not understanding your logic, why wouldn’t Tamiya release a L/J if the H is only a limited edition??  Maybe they’ll bang out an H, and then move on to the J and L?

Why would they make the H only a limited edition? Why not go ahead and release it in full production and if they do actually make the L/J all the main variants (minus the recon) can be purchased at will? 

My point is that if they are showing us that they are unwilling to mass produce another P-38 variant, then they probably won't do any other ones too.

Of course I could be totally wrong and be happily corrected on it. I am just making an assumption.

58 minutes ago, Rodney said:

Will it be sold by the normal retailers or how do we order one?

Thanks,

Rodney

It’s already available as a preorder at Megahobby, so I’m guessing it will be available through most of the normal channels.

https://www.megahobby.com/products/preorder-lockheed-p-38h-lightning-limited-edition-1-48-tamiya-eta-july-2020.html

46 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Why would they make the H only a limited edition? Why not go ahead and release it in full production and if they do actually make the L/J all the main variants (minus the recon) can be purchased at will? 

My point is that if they are showing us that they are unwilling to mass produce another P-38 variant, then they probably won't do any other ones too.

Of course I could be totally wrong and be happily corrected on it. I am just making an assumption.

I understand you now.  I’m thinking the H is a stop on the road to the J/L model, but when it comes to Tamiya, only Tamiya knows!  🙂

What I heard was that the limited edition refers to the white box. I read somewhere that these were produced for one of the hobby shows that had been cancelled. Of course I may be completely wrong and stand to be corrected.

As an aside I would like the H version as I did not pick up the previous release.

I'm really glad I saw this thread!  While I already have 2 of the F/G version, and am SOOOOO hoping for a J/L version to show up soon (I already have the decals for "Marge", Richard Bong's aircraft), I am a P-38 'junkie' and just already put an order in for this 'H' version with MegaHobby (as a result of this thread), just in case it won't be available 'everywhere', though I have gotten things from MegaHobby previously.  

Edited by Curt B
12 hours ago, Curt B said:

I'm really glad I saw this thread!  While I already have 2 of the F/G version, and am SOOOOO hoping for a J/L version to show up soon (I already have the decals for "Marge", Richard Bong's aircraft), I am a P-38 'junkie' and just already put an order in for this 'H' version with MegaHobby (as a result of this thread), just in case it won't be available 'everywhere', though I have gotten things from MegaHobby previously.  

Yeah, I did the same.  Definitely, want to build one if not two of this version.  

Rodney

On 5/20/2020 at 5:50 PM, Corey said:

Yeah.  Right after they do the F-16D.   I'm just sayin'..........  :whistle:       

edit: the about comment is (only slightly) sarcastic.  This new H version looks sweet.

Edited by habu2

I have to agree with whoever wrote (elsewhere) that a P-38 J/L would be a way for Tamiya to "print money" for themselves.  I wish I knew how that company decides to do (or not do) certain subjects.  What would seem logical to us, apparently is not obvious to those decision makers at Tamiya.  Nonetheless, NOT doing the P-38 J/L, being the definitive version of the P-38, would be difficult to fathom.  Particularly since it was the mount of the pinnacle of WWII US aces.  I guess we have no choice but to wait and see (and keep our fingers [and toes] crossed)!

From a marketing and sales stand point, I think it makes sense.  Release the less popular version first to get as many sales as you can from it, then release the popular version.  If the J/L was released first, I bet fewer F/Gs would have sold. 

Rodney

21 minutes ago, Rodney said:

From a marketing and sales stand point, I think it makes sense.  Release the less popular version first to get as many sales as you can from it, then release the popular version.  If the J/L was released first, I bet fewer F/Gs would have sold. 

Rodney

I have to agree with you!  The only 'famous' F/Gs, as far as my extremely limited knowledge goes, were the ones that went on the Yamamoto mission, and that's one of the planes I'm doing right now (Miss Virginia).  I think I'm going to build the other 'Yamamoto' plane out of my other P-38F/G, "Phoebe", Captain Thomas Lanphier's plane.  That plane, like Miss Virginia, was not interesting, marking/painting-wise, but their historical interest/importance is overwhelming!

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

Yeah.  Right after they do the F-16D.   I'm just sayin'..........  :whistle:       

...and the P-47N and the F4U-4 and the AD-5.  There are lots of logical follow-ons that Tamiya has not pursued.  I catch your drift.

Edited by Corey

While I haven't built a 1/32 plane yet (at least not since my youth), I would have to get a 1/32 Tamiya P-38.  I just would 😏

Edited by Curt B
1 hour ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

I'm just delighted that a really accurate P-38H is coming.

Pity it's only a limited edition, I believe that it is such an important subtype that it deserves to be available in the future.

Cheers, Stefan;

Well, we don't really know, yet, whether this H variant will ONLY be a special/limited edition.  It may start out that way, but who knows?  I'm still holding out for the J/L, too!  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just today, I got a notice that my Tamiya P-38H kit, which I had on pre-order at MegaHobby, shipped!  So, it's finally, really available, and on it's way!  Per the tracking info, it should be here Monday, 8/3.

Edited by Curt B