BastionD -

Your build is coming along nicely!  I'm also working on this kit, and will be following your build.  One item I found helpful is adding the "vent grills" to the top of the fuselage.  I found a modeling item on E-Bay (Steel Spirit AW-130 Detail Up Metal Parts Photo-Etch Vent) that is made for Gundam (sp) robot models.  There's multiple sizes in the set, and after trimming they give at least a representation of the vents (see photo).  Some of the small vent indentations in the plastic need to be slightly widened to fit the photo-etch.   Hope this helps!

IMG_0149.jpg

19 hours ago, arg said:

BastionD -

Your build is coming along nicely!  I'm also working on this kit, and will be following your build.  One item I found helpful is adding the "vent grills" to the top of the fuselage.  I found a modeling item on E-Bay (Steel Spirit AW-130 Detail Up Metal Parts Photo-Etch Vent) that is made for Gundam (sp) robot models.  There's multiple sizes in the set, and after trimming they give at least a representation of the vents (see photo).  Some of the small vent indentations in the plastic need to be slightly widened to fit the photo-etch.   Hope this helps!

IMG_0149.jpg

Thanks, they look great indeed!

On 3/8/2021 at 9:44 PM, arg said:

BastionD -

IMG_0149.jpg

Been working on your advice, although not with metal etched but very thin plastic:

FDE994FB-B595-4A9F-8016-E6A7A72C8816.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Again some progress made with preparation of filling sanding and some parts already airbrushing.

also prepared the canopy in future and taped and covered it.

prepared the engines inside and ready to be sprayed outside.

9950A49B-CF62-4228-AC6C-A69DB3BD3615.jpeg

Edited by BastianD
1 hour ago, BastianD said:

Not yet, will try it later on.

Things are looking good. I don't know if you're aware but there is a resin "Trophy" tail for the F-111F as well. I ordered one from BNA Model World along with some other resin goodies for the F-111. Also, are you using the kit canopy? There is a vacform canopy which corrects the shape.

3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Things are looking good. I don't know if you're aware but there is a resin "Trophy" tail for the F-111F as well. I ordered one from BNA Model World along with some other resin goodies for the F-111. Also, are you using the kit canopy? There is a vacform canopy which corrects the shape.

Thanks, I already saw one from OzMod, just need to see how the tail comes out after heating and attempting to correct.

the standard canopy fits really well luckily so I continue with that one.

I even have two, so I think it try to use the 2nd to make an open canopy too.

• 2 weeks later...

Worked today on scaling the camouflage pattern towards the real size of this plane, from a Hasegawa 1/72 F-111F.

Nice copy and scotch job, exactly the right format.

And good guide to airbrush all 4 colours in right dimension.

A0DE6778-4CE3-4ED0-B64F-F9F28DD3B721.jpeg

I love it. Fantastic job, especially the cockpit. I have 2 of those in my stash. One of these days I might give it a try. If I can do half as well as you, I’ll call it a success.

I can’t wait to see the camo. This is going to be awesome 😎