G'day Bastian,

Love the attention to  detail. Ref the static discharge wicks, note that the ones installed on the stabs are on opposite sides. i.e on the upper surface for the left stab and on the bottom for the right stab.

This is because the stabs were symmetrical i.e not a left and right so the same stab could be fitted to either side but it was installed 'upside down' relative to its opposite counterpart. Hopefully this is not too late for you. Most people would not notice  and most builders don't add the wicks but since you are, it would be  a pity not to get it right,

cjeers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
8 hours ago, Pappy121 said:

G'day Bastian,

Love the attention to  detail. Ref the static discharge wicks, note that the ones installed on the stabs are on opposite sides. i.e on the upper surface for the left stab and on the bottom for the right stab.

This is because the stabs were symmetrical i.e not a left and right so the same stab could be fitted to either side but it was installed ' upside down' relative to its opposite counterpart. Hopefully this is not too late for you. Most people would not notice  and most builders don't add the wicks but since you are, it would be  a pity not to get it right,

cjeers,

Pappy

This is very helpful, and luckily I had not come to that part. Thanks for letting me know Pappy I definitely will do the research and take it along!

11 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

For this sort of thing I used some pieces cut from a plastic wire wheel that came with my dremel when I did my S-3 and, ES-3A. I'll do the same thing when it comes time for my F-111. They are just like toothbrush bristles so they are flexible and won't break plus, they were already black so no painting involved. A careful application of CA on a thin piece of wire attaches them and a quick touch-up of paint hides the CA.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7070.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Great advice Steve, many thanks.

it looks great on your Viking!

10 hours ago, Pappy121 said:

G'day Bastian,

This is because the stabs were symmetrical i.e not a left and right so the same stab could be fitted to either side but it was installed ' upside down' relative to its opposite counterpart. Hopefully this is not too late for you. Most people would not notice  and most builders don't add the wicks but since you are, it would be  a pity not to get it right,

cjeers,

Pappy

Do you have reference pictures?

First ones on from the toothbrush!

on the tail, they seemed to be attached at the left side of the tail.

on the left stabiliser they are on top, right one will be on below side.

63480F09-48D6-45DF-8DD2-8509566BC2F6.jpeg

1575121B-008C-4178-9F60-75C9407F9CFC.jpeg

Edited by BastianD
On 6/3/2022 at 6:46 PM, BastianD said:

Do you have reference pictures?

G'day Bastian,

Sorry I don't but there is this new thing called the internet 🙂

If you have the Verlinden Lock-On book, have a gander at page 8 and the rear cover. Also the scale drawing included in the book.

The wicks were black with yellow end tips. This was to warn and hopefully prevent people from grabbing them (why?) as apart from being fragile the end had two very sharp vertical barbs.

Also they did not droop like some do, they were absolutely straight, If you can find some very fine carbon fibre filament works very well but be very careful using it, wear safety glasses when cutting and cut inside a box to prevent any 'ricochet' rounds finding their way onto the floor  and potentially into people and pet's feet.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
1 hour ago, Pappy121 said:

G'day Bastian,

If you have the Verlinden Lock-On book, have a gander at page 8 and the rear cover. Also the scale drawing included in the book.

The wicks were black with yellow end tips. This was to warn and hopefully prevent people from grabbing them (why?) as apart from being fragile the end had two very sharp vertical barbs.

Also they did not droop like some do, they were absolutely straight, If you can find some very fine carbon fibre filament works very well but be very careful using it, wear safety glasses when cutting and cut inside a box to prevent any 'ricochet' rounds finding their way onto the floor  and potentially into people and pet's feet.

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks for this, I found the pictures yesterday in the Verlinden book.

I can’t get them absolutely straight, so I’ll find some straight ones or look for other material.

3 hours ago, Pappy121 said:

G'day Bastian,

cheers,

Pappy

This looks far better 😃

6644DD91-5E6E-4510-A0D9-E420128E1E86.jpeg

12 hours ago, BastianD said:

Any indication how long these dischargers were in real size? And were they different in size on tail, stabs and wings?

G'day Bastian,

No idea sorry. If I had to guess about 6in and they were all the same size so the same replaceable part could be used on the wings, fin and stabs

cheers,

Pappy

10 hours ago, Pappy121 said:

G'day Bastian,

No idea sorry. If I had to guess about 6in and they were all the same size so the same replaceable part could be used on the wings, fin and stabs

cheers,

Pappy

Gracias

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress on those tiny details that this Academy kit is lacking.

Antennas on top of fuselage and 1 in front of the front landing gear, static dischargers on wingtips and started with the small pins on each side: just need to make them on right length.

9AB00928-8E68-47AF-8989-F820121F75AB.jpeg

35693BC2-DCE8-4F99-970D-10E4F6FFB9BA.jpeg