3 hours ago, BastianD said:

And the kit is missing this thing under the nose (what’s the function?), so will scratch build it from sprue and thin layer of plastic:

A5B0281C-9B7C-4AB1-BE6E-733C6CE7E1F4.jpeg

0C5A7CA6-F8FA-4327-888B-284C207FDE52.jpeg

It's called the "Compass Sail" antenna and, it's used for detecting surface to air missiles.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all

It’s been a while for enjoying summer, but here a small update.

The scoop of the Attack Radar came loose, so had to glue it in place. Difficult to reach once the cockpit is settled, but it seems to be fixed.

Just paint again and it’s ok.

Also, finished the Compass Sail antenna handmade, just have to fix it below the front section in front of the front gear.

69BED104-8B72-425F-A22F-571E805C4733.jpeg

The build is coming along nicely!! I started my AF career working F-111Fs at Lakenheath! It's always nice to see a build of one. That's no easy feat, as I've only managed to get one full built!! Keep up the good work, can't wait to see her finished.

12 minutes ago, longmc said:

The build is coming along nicely!! I started my AF career working F-111Fs at Lakenheath! It's always nice to see a build of one. That's no easy feat, as I've only managed to get one full built!! Keep up the good work, can't wait to see her finished.

Thanks for your comment, even more special from someone who took care of these Varks!

As I live in Holland, there was once a Dutch Airforce open day at Twente AB (now closed), where one of the Lakenheath Varks was on the static line.

As the pilots invited someone to watch the cockpit, more people thought they could cross the fences and take a close look at this impressive machine.

I was just 3 stairs away of watching inside the cockpit when the military 

police arrived and gently forced everybody to stand behind the fence again…

Where I live (east of NL), there were on Tuesdays always two Varks patrolling the German border heading North, very impressive big planes.

Edited by BastianD
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Back on track with the Vark, time to speed things up towards the finish.

Compass sail antenna and automatic strike camera on.

And trying to give that detail at the end of the wings where they fold partially inside.

B9444AFB-EC6D-49C2-B0C6-35872498C96A.jpeg

ABD50A5C-C5AE-4A9E-9073-3E6128A38A68.jpeg

A38C4317-A9B1-4B80-86B4-029145AADF16.jpeg

Just now, Da SWO said:

This was a fun build to watch.

Your abilities, plus people in the know giving you the info you needed. 

This is my favorite forum by far, because of the community.

Nice job.

Many thanks, really enjoyed the build (with some challenges but that keeps you alive 😉), and almost finished