ARC Discussion Forums

Quailane

Elefant Walk: 1/72 Sd.Kfz.184

I've always liked the Ferdinand/ Elefant. I remember seeing one, in a very sad and sorry state (like all the other dozens of extremely rare and historically significant armored vehicles), at the US Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground. Unfortunately I lost all the film rolls I used there before even getting the film developed. I've never made a Ferdinand model before, but I've made the Italeri 1/35 Porsche Tiger I which shares the same chassis at the Ferdinand. 

Let's get started. The box art all looks eerily similar, and the boxes are all the same width and height. At least Trumper's tank is facing a different direction. I like Trumpeter's box the most since it is top opening instead of side opening. That helps me keeps things organized a lot better.

NstHpvRCJPR0semUU9sONX70giPT0r7aVElTJbUm

The Italeri arrived yesterday and the others arrived today. After taking a look at the kits on the sprue, I think so far I like the Zvezda the best. Of course it is a lot newer than the other kits, with the plastic being marked 2018. I'm looking forward to trying the tracks, which are made in hard plastic, but are thin and put together the way rubber tracks would. The only issue is that some parts look a bit fragile and I wonder if the top compartment might be difficult to assemble correctly since the other moldings all do it in a single piece.

m2y6fzxP-x54AqibV-PFuULzSnm9PLjqzCZkqhZR

In second place is the trumpeter. It come with rubber and plastic tracks, but the rubber ones were all bent and looked of poor quality, so I need to use the plastic ones. Quality looks good, but not quite as sharp as the Zvezda.

aeO9w6xhxpBizoPA8LeAWIyBRNDNHpMKVp7kyaFr

In third place is Italeri. I thought it would be the worst because of its age, but the plastic tracks are good and although the tiny detail isn't as good as the other kits, it is passable unless you use a magnifying glass, really. There is just a bit more flash that needs to be taken care of than the other kits. The only issues that bother me so far are that the tank treads are flat on the inside, the double wheels are molded as very wide single wheels, and there are a few easily correctable sink marks due to careless manufacturing.

15sidXtaGPp7KEkGEYuJefSzT-bhc7RnrrlTQBkp

So far in last place is the Dragon kit. I was under the impression that it would include rubber and plastic tracks in the kit like some previous releases I found on the web had, but this one does not. Maybe that's why this kit was half the price of the older Dragon 1/72 Ferdinands. At least the rubber tracks look to be of reasonable quality.I read there were some accuracy issues with the kit, but I can't comment on that yet. The kit looks more fiddly than the Italeri kit without offering up higher quality detail, and some of the detail on the Dragon is quite soft. In my mind it is hands down worse than the Zvezda and Trumpeter kits. I would rate it higher than the Italeri kit if it came with plastic tracks.

42VvWlMLY1coN2Q8x3i0Ak6PGmfUT43aJV5k-E6v

Good thing, but I can´t see any pictures...?

HAJO

8 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

Good thing, but I can´t see any pictures...?

HAJO

I'm trying to host them from Google. Is it working now?

I see them now 👍

Well, no, I can´t.

HAJO

First of all, Welcome to the GB, I am glad you are here.

Nice comparison of all the kits. Interesting observation about the box art,  kinda of neat how 3 of the 4 have the same pose.

I look forward to seeing what you do with these.