Black Dog resin detail sets

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had any experience or insight using Black Dog resin detail sets?  I've seen them advertised all over the interweb, but don't think I've seen any "in progress" or "finished" builds incorporating them. I'm particularly interested in the F-16 sets in 1/48.

MTIA

Scott

Edited by scotthldr
2 hours ago, scotthldr said:

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had any experience or insight using Black Dog resin detail sets?  I've seen them advertised all over the interweb, but don't think I've seen any "in progress" or "finished" builds incorporating them. I'm particularly interested in the F-16 sets in 1/48.

MTIA

Scott

I bought the entire detail set for my 1/48 S3. Looks to be high quality resin from CZ. Cannot comment on the fit but reviews on the Net is good. Dai

Their sets are designed to be drop fit in most cases with just minor or simple surgery. The minus points are complete lack of instructions even in their most complex sets. Your only guide are the photos on the box and site. The packaging, flimsy cardboard boxes and a few packing peanuts lead to shipping damage. Also whoever is doing their casting needs to do a better job.

So far

1/48

AH-64 full detail set - bubbles everywhere including the very thin doors/covers, was a PITA to fill. Turbine had a few chunks of missing detail from broken old mold.

AH-1 - No major problems, a couple of bubbles on the doors.

1/72

A-10 Turbine. Bubbles on the fan cone and some other parts. Their bad packaging lead to the ring just aft of the fan blades to be all broken.

Mi-24 engine. This one was the worst, seems the mold was on its last legs. The inside of the exhaust and prop shaft area has missing details or rather filled with chunks of resin, most likely from a broken mold. Bubbles in some prominent areas. Another area has thinned and broken walls from too old or deformed mold.

Mi-28 turbine. Had one big bubble on the thin cover panel.

Ka-52 and CH-53 detail sets. No problems.

They're really nice if you get a good unbroken set.

Edited by Inquisitor

Can't comment on the BD aircraft sets but my experience of their 1/35 and 1/48 armour sets is variable. Casting is generally good but some of the sets I've used are not properly researched - they tend to throw in a range of 'features' of the vehicle without necessarily understanding that some of those features weren't present on a vehicle at the the same time (mixing early, mid and late features in the same set for example).

If you can satisfy yourself that the set contains what you need then they are probably worth purchasing - but don't assume that BD have greater knowledge than you do. 

John

I have a couple of 1/72 equipment sets like tent rolls, backs, rucksacks, rifles, radios and other stuff. I´m pretty happy with them, but some small items like rifles have been damaged in their box.

HAJO

I've got one of their 1/48 interior sets for the USCG HH-60J Jayhawk.  It is well cast, but there are some fit problems.  You can either have it fit around the main cabin door...or you can have it fit around the pilot/co-pilot doors...not both.  it seems a bit much to attribute to resin/mold shrinkage.  It's going to require a good amount of work to fix.  They do have a very interesting catalog with a lot of cool subjects though.

Cameron