I got my first kits in literally decades and seeing as how they're "vintage" I'm not sure what to do with them

I've talked about getting the Hasegawa/Minicraft Mitsubishi Mu-2J kit for years, including many posts here, and a week ago on Ebay I decided to finally pull the trigger on that.

Actually, I got two. It just seemed like a good idea given the age of the kit and all.

krjKrhT9ADzO99zcieORAfplN-_G_Vhf6_CG45Ki

Now given that they are kinda "semi-vintage" I'm not sure what to even do with these? Should I build them or just leave them as-is? I think I might open one up at least since the cellophane is already tearing loose anyway.

I'm also thinking of picking up a Revel Concorde (already have one but it's missing parts) and a Revel or Airfix (or some other cheap kit) 757 since I want to do these in Dodo Air Lines colors from Animal Crossing (yes really). Also if someone knows any kits for a Husky, Caravan, Kodiak, C185, Grumman Widgeon and Piaggo 136 that'd be great too.

Hey there,

I can not see the picture.  I looked the kit up and I see it has not been re-issued since 2003 , and I am not sure how hard the kit is to find. You have two, so my suggestion is to build one now, and save the other for later.  I think the only time to really be concerned about saving a kit and not building it is if it is very valuable, hard to find, and not likely to ever be re-issued.  Those instances are fairly rare.

To research the kits of the other aircraft I would suggest scalemates.com  

good luck

Airfix did the Widgeon in 1/72. 

As to the MU-2J, I had to do an eBay search to see what one is! I don't think there's much of a collector's market for those even though they're older. I'd say just go ahead and build it.

I have a couple over the years and even got a chance to see a couple at air shows in Okinawa.  It started out as a small commuter aircraft and was eventually picked up by the J.M.S.D.F. for maritime patrol:

scan0003-1.jpg

scan0057-2.jpg

scan0443.jpg

There have been three versions made of the MU-2, a civilian job, and two of the military, the last one being released with resin parts for a specialized patrol  type with tanks and one or two other things included.  I think the last one would be the rarest one and I wish I didn't have to sell mine.

You said you've been looking for the Mu-2 for years, presumably to build and not collect, so my advice is to build it! Models, even those still in their shrink wrap, rarely go up in value, so their enjoyment is in their building and painting.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

When I jumped back into modeling (about 20 years ago) I bought two of the hard to find Otaki C-5 Galaxy kits.  I built one instantly and still have one in the stash.  The built kit sits up on top of a book shelf in my family room and every time I see it I get a reminder of my childhood watching the first C5 fly into Charleston AFB and being there with my Dad as he gave me a tour of it since he was on the C-5 Test team and did some design work on it.  It also reminds me of buying these kits as a kid on the Air Force Base at "Toy Land" that was about a block from where Dad worked.  Those kits were disasters as a 10-12 year old would make of one. 

Now that I have a good 20 years of adult model building since that last one, I feel the time is approaching to finally crack open the other kit to see how my skills have improved!

But as suggested above, build one now and save the other for a later date.

The first time I saw a C-5A was during a recon flight in one of our H-43 helicopters.  They were just changing the guard and he and the M-715 looked so small next to it.

My Grandmother worked on its engines at a factory in town.  They gave everyone a coin made from the alloy of the engine and sealed in a plastic container.  She eventually gave ti to me.