On 10/15/2021 at 5:46 PM, Eastern said:

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for asking.

Been through the fu...ng COVID twice. Now I'm well. 🙂

Eventually completed my Mig-29, my ever longest build.  🙂 

Sorry you got it and glad you are well but you can only get it once. Don't know what you had the second time but it wasn't covid.

17 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Sorry you got it and glad you are well but you can only get it once. Don't know what you had the second time but it wasn't covid.

Yes, it was. The first time I caught it last December. No symptoms but the test was positive.

The second time I caught it this August. This time the symptoms have been shown. I lost sense of smell, got terrible cough and 30% lungs affection.

I think it was DELTA strain. 

Cheers and keep safe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ciao Oliver,

fantastic work but I have a doubt: sonar winch, display and everything else seems to be more appropriate for a British Wessex HAS rather than an US H-34, what do you think about? I researched a lot about Wessex and H-34 and I never saw such configuration of sonar on a H-34 so I would to know something more about your choice, documentation about US sonars is so scarce that everything new is very welcome and, forgive my impudence, everything seems to me to be bigger than it should, even if masterfully built and painted.

Edited by Maw1963
4 hours ago, Maw1963 said:

Ciao Oliver,

fantastic work but I have a doubt: sonar winch, display and everything else seems to be more appropriate for a British Wessex HAS rather than an US H-34, what do you think about? I researched a lot about Wessex and H-34 and I never saw such configuration of sonar on a H-34 so I would to know something more about your choice, documentation about US sonars is so scarce that everything new is very welcome and, forgive my impudence, everything seems to me to be bigger than it should, even if masterfully built and painted.

Maw1963, 

The US Navy indeed did have HSS-1 / SH-35Gs with dipping sonar.  Check out these links:

File:SH-34 dipping sonar NAN9-58.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

File:HSS HS-831 sonar NAN6-60.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

File:SH-34 HS-11 NAN9-58.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

File:Sikorsky HSS-1 of HS-2 in flight and lowering sonar, in 1960.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Interesting web article:

This Is How Night Anti-Submarine Warfare Started (historynet.com)

Edited by Dutch
7 hours ago, Maw1963 said:

Ciao Oliver,

I could not find any photos either so i used my wessex book early winch design i found.

The size of the items inside cabin were based on a 1/32 seated figure so I matched to that. 

On 12/20/2021 at 2:20 PM, Dutch said:

Ciao Dutch grazie

I know that USN had dipping sonars, I have never seen the configuration Oliver built, that seems to be adopted by RN. There are no pictures of the cabin with sonar in the links you published, the only one I know are here http://www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl/html/sikorsky_s-58_135_en_136_aan_b.html and here http://www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl/html/sikorsky_s-58__plane-guard_.html

Anyway nothing to worry about, it is more a nerd stuff than something really important

Edited by Maw1963

The cable reel and sonar "wet end" were fully enclosed in a "cabinet" during operations because otherwise there would be salt water sprayed around the cabin when the wet end was reeled up. I'm not sure I've seen pictures of the USN HSS-1 sonar with the cabinet panels removed but I'll take a look when I get home next week. In any event, that's a excellent representation of a generic dipping sonar mechanism.

3 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

The cable reel and sonar "wet end" were fully enclosed in a "cabinet" during operations because otherwise there would be salt water sprayed around the cabin when the wet end was reeled up. I'm not sure I've seen pictures of the USN HSS-1 sonar with the cabinet panels removed but I'll take a look when I get home next week. In any event, that's a excellent representation of a generic dipping sonar mechanism.

Tom, You are right!  His electronic panels & displays were most likely vacuum tube & cathode ray tubes technology, and thus would be much deeper than he has depicted.  And yes, there was a circular rubber sleeve around the buoy housing so that the salt water dripped back into the ocean and a cabinet around the whole affair so any residual spray did not enter the helo cabin.  This from verbal conversation with Sikorsky rep years ago.  I think the HSS-2/SH-3 had a tall metal casing around the dipping sonar with just a small hole in the top for the cable, much like what is depicted in the Airfix 1/72 kit. 

• 2 weeks later...