I am trying to find someone to design and print figures for my dio (see photo below) and i thought i would share some of the prices i was given to do the job since i am still choking on the price.

4 figures designed and printed is $ 6400.  this is highway robbery in my book.

Photos courtesy of Rotorwash.

214382218_815857162627217_8229598662957272944_n.jpg

209397733_936194563622925_3951771082770896309_n.jpg

Oliver,

Was this price quoted from Shapeways?  I have done some 3D printing with them before and have found them very reasonable.  I am sure there are guys on forum with much more experience with 3D printing them me.  But $6400 is outrageous!  For 1/32 scale figures?

22 minutes ago, YF65_CH53E said:

Oliver,

Was this price quoted from Shapeways?  I have done some 3D printing with them before and have found them very reasonable.  I am sure there are guys on forum with much more experience with 3D printing them me.  But $6400 is outrageous!  For 1/32 scale figures?

it wasn't Shapeways but on Military Figures painting site, several people got back to me. it appears that this is the going price for 1/32 scale according to them, i have a hard time believing it. I am still looking.

Edited by Rotorman

I respect the work of artists that is often undervalued, but this seems too much for what we can expect; maybe this person has a different understanding of your actual need.

I hope you can find better options; recently, I toyed with the idea of finding someone that could make female pilots and ground crew, but I don't know where to start yet.

17 minutes ago, cruiz said:

I respect the work of artists that is often undervalued, but this seems too much for what we can expect; maybe this person has a different understanding of your actual need.

I hope you can find better options; recently, I toyed with the idea of finding someone that could make female pilots and ground crew, but I don't know where to start yet.

I respect the work of CAD designers as well . I did supply photos of my build.  I am several years away from needed figures but I already thinking about it since it has to do with the engine crane placement I still need to scratch build..

1 hour ago, HeavyArty said:

Have you talked to Norbert at Reedoak?  He may be able to work some mechanics into his future releases.  He already has some modern French mechanics that are pretty generic and could work.

1/35 (reedoak.com

i have talked to Norbert about the figures 6 months ago but nothing came of it... I need to reach out again. Funny, I was just on his site 10 minutes ago. 

he has few items

Please allow a minor thread hijack...but since we are on the topic of 3D printing...

A question about Shapeways...They offer a small 1/240 kit, it would be about 5" long.

Their site says it is printed on "White Natural Versatile Plastic" ...whatever that is.

My question..is it fine enough to give a decent surface on a model of that scale and size? 

They want $60 for it...which isn't too bad considering the prices the  pirates want on eBay for the ancient Sanwa kit, but I don't want to buy something that won't work.

1 hour ago, JohnEB said:

Please allow a minor thread hijack...but since we are on the topic of 3D printing...

A question about Shapeways...They offer a small 1/240 kit, it would be about 5" long.

Their site says it is printed on "White Natural Versatile Plastic" ...whatever that is.

My question..is it fine enough to give a decent surface on a model of that scale and size? 

They want $60 for it...which isn't too bad considering the prices the  pirates want on eBay for the ancient Sanwa kit, but I don't want to buy something that won't work.

I have no idea what you are asking

12 hours ago, Rotorman said:

I have no idea what you are asking

"Their site says it is printed on "White Natural Versatile Plastic" ...whatever that is

My question..is it fine enough to give a decent surface on a model of that scale and size? "

In other words, will the " versitile" plastic material look like  smooth styrene, resin or large grain styrofoam?

Obviously, in a small scale model, the material (and thus surface) quality is more important than a 1/35 scale kit.

Edited by JohnEB
18 hours ago, Rotorman said:

it wasn't Shapeways but on Military Figures painting site, several people got back to me. it appears that this is the going price for 1/32 scale according to them, i have a hard time believing it. I am still looking.

Is that for completed & painted figures?

I asked one of the vendors on Shapeways to make Officers Reed & Malloy from Adam-12 for me in 1/24 scale.  It took about two weeks and he charged me $25 apiece.  As I was the first, I assume that I paid the setup fees and received the versatile plastic.  He has now dropped the price to $15 and $20 for smooth plastic.  Go with the smooth. 

Here is a set of both officers in 1/32 scale on ebay for $45. Try Shapeways vendor: GAS Designs - ToyCave Collectibles.

Edited by Dutch
add links
49 minutes ago, YF65_CH53E said:

I feel like I can grab my toolbox and just walk out to the flightline and start working on this bird.  It's amazing....thank you Rotorman for sharing this incredible build!

Gunny Dan

Thanks for watching this build.

6 hours ago, Rotorman said:

Who makes it ?

AFV Club/Skybow makes a very nice M38. You will have to make the hard cab. It shouldn’t be too hard for your skill set.

The trailer can be found in the Takom, Italeri or Heller Jeep or 1/4 ton boxings. 

HTH