Hi,

Getting deeper into the diorama world I will try to do a Vietnam Flightline with a H34 and a H43. The nose conversion for the H.34 is moving slowly with a lot of headaches trying to use the Wessex kit from Fly Model as much as I can to limit the amount of surgery needed for the conversion, I just found an R2800 engine in resin in 1/32 so i will have the cowlings open on the h.34 to show the engine . The H 43 is the old kit from HAWK models  and needs a lot of detailing inside. I am not planning to super detail the H43 much. I will probably add some kind of aircraft Generator  from Video Aviation or an Aircraft tractor from Aires. Time to start thinking about the base since it might be a large dio.  I may add few pilots by the aircrafts.  I am hoping to be done with it in 2 years.

Oliver

20200523_154340_zpshkgsmbf0.jpg

Screenshot_20200523-162949_Chrome_zpsld6

20200523_154812_zpslahemba0.jpg

Screenshot_20200523-162624_Chrome_zpsra6

Edited by Rotorman
22 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

What interior is that on the HH43? It's not the kit.

I think its the old cobra resin set. I need to remake the cockpit floor because I am not sure that huge is correct.lol

Edited by Rotorman

Oliver, the H-34 used a 9 cylinder Wright R1820. I don’t build in 1/32 so I don’t know if a resin engine is available. You could use a Kitty Hawk T-28 engine, but that might be too pricey. I can’t wait to see your finished diorama. Are you doing a Marine or Vietnamese King Bee H-34?

Mig

4 hours ago, Rob Mignard said:

Oliver, the H-34 used a 9 cylinder Wright R1820. I don’t build in 1/32 so I don’t know if a resin engine is available. You could use a Kitty Hawk T-28 engine, but that might be too pricey. I can’t wait to see your finished diorama. Are you doing a Marine or Vietnamese King Bee H-34?

Mig

Thanks for correcting me on the engine. I did find one one bay. I was going to do a Navy version but it now might be a land version, i just dont know yet.

48 minutes ago, Loach Driver said:

It will be great to see the HH-43 getting the Rotorman treatment!

LD. 

Thanks LD. They are both Iconic helos. Ive been reading on the H.43 service and development, it is such a cool helo. 

I am working on making interior walls and floor and ceiling right now, will post soon.  I am looking for photos of the cabin floor to see what kind of detail it has. I have the Kaman h43 book but no tight photos of the floor and my internet search turned out rather low.

Oliver

4 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Don't forget to mount the R-1280 "backwards" in the H-34 nose, as the shaft should face to the rear and go up between the pilots to the transmission mounted above and behind them.

oh yeah thats right its backwards, thanks for the heads up.

6 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

The H-34 nose looks great.  Once finished, are you  planning to sell them or post it to Shapeways so others can get it?  I definitely want one.

Yes I believe it will  be available for purchase. I just dont know  how much yet.  I was talking to Norbert and he might be interested in carrying them on his line for me. 

I used to halve to fly recon flights on the Pedro, Not always a fun experience.  For its size it had a pretty good engine and lift capability but it racked you side t side as it flew in the other directions.  At one point we mounted a M-60 in the side door, but that only lasted a couple days. We didn't want the crew to handle a weapon they knew almost nothing about and they didn't want us shooting the wooden rotor blades. 

Here's the Pedro I built using the Cobra set.

DSCF0037-1.jpg

DSCF0038-1.jpg

DSCF0039-1.jpg

DSCF0009-1.jpg

There is a very large gap in the front on the cockpit that has to be delt with before the wind screen can be blended in. Over there they remover the clamshell doors and replaced them with a removable cargo net.  Hope the pictures helped a little.  Despite the pounding, the rstrictions like landing wherever we were if it rains and engine exhaust getting pulled into the aircraft when done real low, it was still my favorite copter to have to in.  I still hate flying though.

Beautiful kit you made. I am aware of the gap around the cockpit floor. It appears the cockpit floor is wrong as well and so are the tail  rotor pedals. Any photos of engine area and cabin gear you want to may share. I am not planning to do the cargo net in the back. Are the blades black? I see different color on them like a blue leading edge. It is such a cool helo. 

Oliver,

When I was building my Huskie a few years ago I found technical info was hard to find. I contacted the New England Air Museum in Connecticut. They are located very close to the Kaman factory. The gentleman I talked to was very helpful and supplied me T.O.'s. The T.O.'s were very helpful in gleaning structure and equipment details. I believe there is a stepped aft cabin floor, just inside the clam shells on your build. My Dad was a senior blade tech at Kaman from the HOK days through the early Seasprite days. He had passed away before I built my Huskie....bad timing on my part. Until 15-20 years ago I did not realize Anton Flettner was the chief design engineer for Kaman and got here under Operation Paperclip. A fact my Dad never either knew or mentioned. 

I followed your Seahawk build and look forward to both of these builds.

Edited by jager

Thanks for your input.

I agree on very limited photos of interior and gear carried.

I am working on the step in the back. This is for me one of the coolest helo along with the Navy Russian KA 32 ever produced.

Behind the side door seat was a metal ring that the forced penetrator sat in and was somehow connected to the cabin wall , probably by a metal strap with a quick release.

The rear of the floor did drop down a little and had I think 3 rectangular doors for storage.

The rotor blades were a sort of flat aluminum color with yellow tips.

When I took my first flight they warned of how to approach the aircraft while it was running and that if it started to rain, we wouild be landing immediately, regardless of where we ere.  The wooden blades couild break in a sudden downpour, especially in monsoon season.

Edited by ikar
29 minutes ago, ikar said:

Behind the side door seat was a metal ring that the forced penetrator sat in and was somehow connected to the cabin wall , probably by a metal strap with a quick release.

The rear of the floor did drop down a little and had I think 3 rectangular doors for storage.

The rotor blades were a sort of flat aluminum color with yellow tips.

hen I took my first flight they warned of how to approach the aircraft while it was running and that if it started to rain, we wouild be landing immediately, regardless of where we ere.  The wooden blades couild break in a sudden downpour, especially in monsoon season.

why land right away  with rain, doesn't have to do with wood blades , does it?

• Rotorman changed the title to H. 34 Choctaw.