• 2 weeks later...

Wow,

This looks incredible!!

Tell me how much and where to email it to, 🙂

I'm officially impressed. I'm now working out mesh patterns in my head.

I'm hoping the Covid don't take  me before I get to buy this from you,

Stephen

vacation came with

This is a fun build so far i must say. So much can be done at any modeling level.  Creating more work for myself, I am in the process of cutting out the engine cowlings to display the engine. I hope to display two mechanics by the helicopter and a pilot near by. Maybe a small generator by the helicopter since VideoAviation came with two units last months in 1/32 scale. 

20200619_140021_zps2vs58fby.jpg

20200619_135810_zps1kywgonv.jpg

20200619_135736_zpsc5l8yxob.jpg

20200619_180620_zpst5m3mrt6.jpg

20200619_180606_zps10kvatrl.jpg

20200618_115526_zpshmujix0n.jpg

Edited by Rotorman
17 hours ago, mudrat said:

Wow,

This looks incredible!!

Tell me how much and where to email it to, 🙂

I'm officially impressed. I'm now working out mesh patterns in my head.

I'm hoping the Covid don't take  me before I get to buy this from you,

Stephen

Still working out all the details on the nose. Not available just yet.

Ok, here's a few things.

Where did you get a engine for that?  I never heard of one available.

Are you going to cut out the grill and put in a screen mesh?

Our version didn't have those type of seats.  All we had were the bench seats and cargo netting attached on the sides.  I never did look at how the seat belts were attached.

Don't forget the piping in the pylon holes and a cable spool for the winch.

Do you know where the supports for the exhaust pipe go as well as the support braces for the vertical stabs?

I don't know what paint job you will be using but our copters had the windows above the pilot and copilot tinted blue.

Then there's the discoloration on the exhaust tube from the severe heat.

Sorry if I have become a pain, and I don't mean to be one, but out of all the aircraft I had to fly in, this was the one I got most involved with, near mid air accidents and other things. 

19 minutes ago, ikar said:

Ok, here's a few things.

Where did you get a engine for that?  I never heard of one available.

Are you going to cut out the grill and put in a screen mesh?

Our version didn't have those type of seats.  All we had were the bench seats and cargo netting attached on the sides.  I never did look at how the seat belts were attached.

Don't forget the piping in the pylon holes and a cable spool for the winch.

Do you know where the supports for the exhaust pipe go as well as the support braces for the vertical stabs?

I don't know what paint job you will be using but our copters had the windows above the pilot and copilot tinted blue.

Then there's the discoloration on the exhaust tube from the severe heat.

Sorry if I have become a pain, and I don't mean to be one, but out of all the aircraft I had to fly in, this was the one I got most involved with, near mid air accidents and other things. 

first, thanks so much for sharing your points.

So, the engine is from the Arado i think, i will use that as the base for T.53. I have seen cargo netting and solid fabric for the seats, i went with solid setbacks only because i needed to have some color inside the cabin.  Will add cables for winch and pylons. I do know about exhaust braces and stabs. 

Paintjob will be the SEA camo version. I did not know about overhead windows, now i do.

Plenty of photos i found on the exhaust discoloration so good on that.

Do you have photos of engine area by any chance?

Sorry, I just checked my book on Pedro by Wayne Mutzurski and it didn't have any open engine shots.  You could try contacting Kamman company itself, they should have something in their files or look for a old Tech Order. either on like or from them.  A dash 1 would be the pilot's flight manual, it may or may not.

Since I was not in their squadron, my only chance of getting a shot of the engine would be if they happened to it opened up on the days when I would get a permit and wander the flight line taking pictures.  Most of the maint. was done in their metal building's hanger.  When we showed up without our weapons, most of the pre=flight was already completed so all we had to do was get in and have the pilot start the engine and confirm everything was moving as it should, and then we would shake through the sky.

On 6/20/2020 at 8:49 AM, ikar said:

Sorry, I just checked my book on Pedro by Wayne Mutzurski and it didn't have any open engine shots.  You could try contacting Kamman company itself, they should have something in their files or look for a old Tech Order. either on like or from them.  A dash 1 would be the pilot's flight manual, it may or may not.

Since I was not in their squadron, my only chance of getting a shot of the engine would be if they happened to it opened up on the days when I would get a permit and wander the flight line taking pictures.  Most of the maint. was done in their metal building's hanger.  When we showed up without our weapons, most of the pre=flight was already completed so all we had to do was get in and have the pilot start the engine and confirm everything was moving as it should, and then we would shake through the sky.

Still searching for engine photos.

20200620_192102_zpsbntsij12.jpg

20200621_111910_zpsdcmvoydy.jpg

Edited by Rotorman

the book has nothing...sorry.  I searched online for a good hour plus today.  Engine overhaul, restoration, by engine model #.....  there's squat so far.

maybe if we pool our money we can fly you to Pima and you can sneak in and open one up...there's also one in Washington....  I'll send you a black baklava?

104438669_10219559366507304_857982986088.

Edited by Bounce
38 minutes ago, Bounce said:

the book has nothing...sorry.  I searched online for a good hour plus today.  Engine overhaul, restoration, by engine model #.....  there's squat so far.

maybe if we pool our money we can fly you to Pima and you can sneak in and open one up...there's also one in Washington....  I'll send you a black baklava?

104438669_10219559366507304_857982986088.

I sure appreciate you taking the time to look into the engine and such. I did contact the last flying Huskie in Washington but i haven't heard anything back. I called the museum. Love to find out the name of the pilot and contact me directly. Your photos give me an idea how to position the engine. Thanks

Oliver

Edited by Rotorman

I bet there's a couple black and white pics in one of these 'rotor tips' publications by kaman,  like a news letter with maintenance tips section 

great cartoons in the first couple editions:  "Kaman; it rhymes with Japan"

https://www.nhahistoricalsociety.org/index.php/kaman-rotor-tips/

hey hey!:

104797195_10219560345651782_373002758914

Edited by Bounce
  • Rotorman changed the title to H. 34 Choctaw.