Lone Star Models: Anyone Know the Guy?

Hello all,

I placed an order for two B-58 sets through Lone Star in February and nothing has arrived yet. (I'm in Canada.) I know things are all screwed up with the COVID stuff, but his website has not changed its 6 week turn around time, even though he addressed the COVID situation in a message on his website. So with the much delayed delivery time, after six weeks to fulfil the order, he has had nine weeks for it to arrive here.

I sent an email through his website without reply. I do not want to be an unreasonable or unfair customer, but the lack of communication has me a bit concerned. Does anyone know him and would be willing to reach out on my behalf?

Thanks!

One man show, moving at his own speed.  I have never had an order unfulfilled, but never had on set a record either.  One time he closed out an item, and I had to remind him I was still waiting in line for mine 6 months later.  I got a set from a very worn out mold.    No exchanging for a better one.  4 to 6 months seems to have been average for anything I bought from him.  Way better than Master Casters.

Rick L.

Thanks for the replies! Waiting beyond six months is worrisome since my PayPal backing expires at that point. I would be less concerned if he would reply to me. If four to six months and beyond is the norm, he should be putting that on his website.

The owner frequents the Hyperscale forums under the name ResinPrince. He runs his shop on a one month open, one month closed to work on parts schedule. If you check his website now you will see that he is closed and no parts are listed, so I would assume he is working on fulling orders as we speak. He has always been behind on fulfilling orders. If you have a Hyperscale account you might try reaching him there.  While he is slow, he has a pretty good reputation in the community and has been been in business since 1995. I guess that recently he moved and got married, so he also has a life (weird right).

He posted on hyperscale some weeks ago that the website is being changed and will be down for a while. Sounds like that's happening right now.

Not that it has anything to do with his lack of replies...

I have packages sitting on Japan Post offices since the mid of March, a couple of them were returned back to Tenso something like a couple of days ago, others that were shipped through airmail are bouncing back and forth, I managed to get just one package shipped by combining items I had on my tab, but they could only ship them to me through DHL or Seamail, I picked up DHL and ended up paying two times the original investment I did

Hyperbolic trend extension will last till the 31th of May, after that there are chances that Japan Post will resume accepting packages

Yes, I too have had good business dealings with the owner of LSM.  And he has always fulfilled my orders, though some took a little longer to arrive.  But I build slower than he casts resin, so the delay is not insurmountable.   Use his contact link on his website if you need to send him a message. R/ Dutch

Thanks again for the replies!

Mstor and Wyman: I'll head over to hyperscale for my next attempt at contacting him. Thanks for that!

Chip: It seems like he has universal praise. I don't mind waiting either, it's just that we are way beyond his own estimate. I'd be fine to wait a year if that's what he had been quoting, or had said to me in some form of reply.

Dutch: I have tried that link a couple times now. I also had an email address from when I initially placed the orders, and I've reached out via Facebook. Still waiting.

I waited three months for his B-52 engines. After a couple months I emailed him about the status of my order and the next day he emailed back saying the casts had worn out and had to make new ones. A month later they arrived. 

• 1 month later...

The sets arrived today, five months less a day from ordering. Looks like they shipped June 12, which means it was just over four months turn-around time.

For future people who may see this, the sets look good. They are most definitely worth the money, one just has to expect five months wait rather than the six weeks mentioned on the website.

I never did get in contact with him. I wrote to him on Facebook, from the contact form on his website, and from email (both my personal and work accounts). I am happy with the product, and would have happily waited a year if that's what it took, I just wish he would either update his website or reply to communications. Had we been a month later, I would have been forced to open a PayPal claim since they only cover a purchase for six months, unless there is some communication from the seller. I'm not out to hurt the guy's business so I'm very glad it didn't come to that.

• 2 years later...

Mike posted on his FB page on 18 May 2023, the following note:

Ladies and Gents
I am closing in on the old orders being caught up. I will not be selling anything  now till I reopen the Web page August 1st. My web page is WWWdotLONESTARMODELSdotCOM
When the PB4Y2 fuselages are delivered I will begin shipping this kit to those that have one on order.

I can hardly ever find his site opened.  I wish he could at least keep his products visible even if he wasn't accepting orders. There are several items in the Cobra line that I'd like to see if they were still available.   

He takes it down to stop people ordering while he makes and ships the orders he does have.

Its a better system than to take on to many orders, get lost in it all and risk unhappy customers who think he is trying to rip them off.

I ordered a couple of the 1:48 Pave Low III conversion sets from him, they turned up in the UK after a week.

On 6/3/2023 at 1:42 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

He takes it down to stop people ordering while he makes and ships the orders he does have.

Its a better system than to take on to many orders, get lost in it all and risk unhappy customers who think he is trying to rip them off.

I ordered a couple of the 1:48 Pave Low III conversion sets from him, they turned up in the UK after a week.

IMO the better option is to disable the ordering functions but still allow potential customers the ability to see what items are available.  It's a hit and miss when the webpage is open and it's usually a miss for me.  The bottom line is that it is his business and he can run it how he wants but is sure would be nice to see what he has to offer.

On 6/5/2023 at 1:44 PM, ST0RM said:

Looks like I'll have to set a timer for 1 Aug, so I can get a Pavelow set on order. 

Thanks for the all the info. 

Yeah I would if youre interested.
It took some convincing to get him to do a production run, it would be nice to see them sell out.

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2023 at 8:36 PM, fasteagle12 said:

I can hardly ever find his site opened.  I wish he could at least keep his products visible even if he wasn't accepting orders. There are several items in the Cobra line that I'd like to see if they were still available.   

He did completely close it for a period of time because his wife died (cancer). He reopened May 2023. My understanding is he was caring for his wife up to her passing, which is why he was so slow getting orders out.