Is this just a forum on RealSpace Models kits and modelling?  Or is it generally anything about modelling actual, non-fictional, space vehicles?

Edited by Peter Browne
11 hours ago, MoFo said:

No, they do not need to be "RealSpace" brand model kits.  You can post any actual, non-fictional space vehicle here.

That is what I thought.  The forum title is misleading...

Note there is - unironically - a space between Real and Space in the forum title. That should make the content unambiguous enough. It's also possible to read the forum itself and see pretty readily that the content isn't exclusive to RealSpace products.

Personally I'd never connected it mentally to the company RealSpace but I could see the point of someone being a little confused until they looked at the entries. I don't recall very many actual RealSpace (the company) builds here much lately. Also, other than the sponsoring manufacturer's individual threads, I don't think there's ever been an area on ARC dedicated to one company. But like I said, can't fault you for asking the question and pointing it out. :thumbsup:

Long ago I was asked that I separate the models of actual spacecraft from the models of Sci-fi in the gallery section.  I did that and then I figured it made sense to create separate forums for each group of models on the forum.  Until now I had not heard of the company Realspace.  I just checked out their site...it's good to see.

Sorry for the confusion.

Steve, the responsibility is not yours ... your past action was perfect and appreciated.

In scale model contests, "Real Space" is the category in which we contest participants enter our builds. Real Space, Historical Space, Non-fictional Space are names of contest categories I've seen as well. It's the case in IPMS USA as well as here in Canada. 

So the name of this forum is definitely NOT a cause for confusion ... there's no need to apologize, Steve!

It's per-r-rfect ... just ... the ... way ... it ... is!   :thumbsup:

Pete

Sorry for causing any angst, I just wanted to make sure this was the right forum to post my questions (and hopefully future offerings...) on, let us say, factual space stuff 😎    I actually knew about the Real Space models company before finding this forum, hence the question.

Edited by Peter Browne
1 hour ago, Peter Browne said:

Sorry for causing any angst, I just wanted to make sure this was the right forum to post my questions (and hopefully future offerings...) on, let us say, factual space stuff 😎    I actually new  about the Real Space models company before finding this forum, hence the question.

The forum could be easier to locate. I think I too stumbled on this gem.
You will find a lot of helpful advice and some awesome modelling here.

Here’s another question re: appropriate subjects in this forum.  What about NACA/NASA rocket planes, lifting bodies or other non-jet research vehicles?

To my mind they’re closer in “flavor” to this forum than in Jet Modeling.

Thoughts?

Edited by Propellerhead
2 hours ago, jonwinn said:

In my 57 years of modelling I have NEVER heard of a RealSpace brand. You learn

something new everyday. jon

I’ve built 4:  Mercury-Redstone, Mercury-Atlas, Gemini-Titan II  (all in 1/72) and Saturn IB (1/144).  The Saturn is the most multi of multi-media kits I’ve ever built (resin, brass tubes, styrene strips, white metal, photo etch).

I’ve got their Saturn I Block 2 and progress and other launch vehicles and correction sets in the stash. 

They do have some nice kits.  I am particularly tempted by their 1/24 Voyager  At the moment though, I'm awaiting their drawing set for the Mercury capsule for modelling in SolidWorks.  I have the NASA plans but not detailed enough, low resolution and no dimensions.

BTW, for those doing the 1/72 Dragon Saturn V, Real Space have batted bells that look OK.

Edited by Peter Browne
1 hour ago, Peter Browne said:

They do have some nice kits.  I am particularly tempted by their 1/24 Voyager  At the moment though, I'm awaiting their drawing set for the Mercury capsule for modelling in SolidWorks.  I have the NASA plans but not detailed enough, low resolution and no dimensions.

BTW, for those doing the 1/72 Dragon Saturn V, Real Space have batted bells that look OK.

Yeah, the David Weeks drawings are the bees knees.  Whether one uses them for a project or just to “nerd out” on.

Some kits need more work than others. Mostly due to manufacturing (tired molds or other issues).  So far the MR was the most trouble free.

Edited by Propellerhead
3 hours ago, Peter Browne said:

If you want a set I have them and never used them. Instead I made my own hybrid F1 Engines and left them un batted. Why cover the beauty of those engines.
As for failings of the dragon. It's huge an dlooks good in a case. Better engine made enough difference to the non rivet counter

16 hours ago, Propellerhead said:

Here’s another question re: appropriate subjects in this forum.  What about NACA/NASA rocket planes, lifting bodies or other non-jet research vehicles?

To my mind they’re closer in “flavor” to this forum than in Jet Modeling.

Yup ... I agree. X-1, X-2, X-15, X-37 and all the lifting bodies belong here ... rather than on a Jet forum.