Special Hobby 1/48 Fiat G.55A Centuro

Hello all,

This is Special Hobby's 1/48 Fiat G.55A Centuro. It's a mixed bag and what you'd expect from a 2008 moulding: variable fit, lots of clean-up, chunky mouldings and multi-media parts. The undercarriage is particularly terrible. The decals are excellent.

It's meant to be painted silver, not NMF. Various metallic paints used with oils on top, which was difficult as they tended to get little traction on the smooth surface. Canopy is vac-formed and was designed for a different kit so unsurprisingly, in my view, is the biggest weak point of the finished article. The undercarriage actuating arms and pitot have been fabricated from Albion Alloys brass tubing.

This is the first model I've made in the past 25 years (I think) with no clear coats on it. I finished it in under four weeks, so that's the fifth for 2020 and I'm on track with my build schedule :)

More photos and longish build article at http://jonbryon.com/special-hobby-1-48-fiat-g-55a-centauro/

Thanks for looking,

Jon

g55a_01.jpg

g55a_03.jpg

g55a_11.jpg

g55a_13.jpg

g55a_17.jpg

g55a_18.jpg

g55a_27.jpg

g55a_30.jpg

g55a_32.jpg

g55a_33.jpg

g55a_45.jpg

g55a_52.jpg

g55a_54.jpg

g55a_59.jpg

g55a_63.jpg

g55a_67.jpg

g55a_70.jpg

g55a_71.jpg

g55a_72.jpg

g55a_73.jpg

g55a_74.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice Fiat Jon .  Although I build in 1/72 , your description of their kits reflects my feelings.  You really need to want to have that aircraft in the collection to get it finished .

Matching up of part shapes seem to be a foreign concept .

Cheers,  Christian

Edited by Chris L