Hello all,

After 2 consecutive 1/48 Hasegawa kits F-104 and A7, I decided to hold on the AMK 1/48 Fouga and try something simple and quick built. I have always liked the T33 and  I would like to know which kit is better in terms of building and accuracy. The scale is 1/48. Thank you so very much! Dai 

Edited by dai phan

Eventually I plan on building one of my old squadron's T-33s.  I already have the Academy kit and decals that I need.

I have never built or even seen one any great wall kits, so what is the problem with them or it?  

The old Hobbycraft/Academy T-33 is a caricature of the real thing.  FOX3 IIRC sold a correction set that basically consisted of a whole new resin fuselage.  Yes the GWH kit is more expensive.  But if you put a value on your time, it is cheaper that dealing with the Academy kit.

11 hours ago, jabow said:

The GWH kit is better; BUT, I'm currently building this kit and wish I had the Academy one.  The GWH kit will NOT be a simply build.

My 2 cents worth, if that.

Bo

What seems to be the problems? Dai 

9 hours ago, habu2 said:

I have the Academy kit in my stash, are you saying it’s not worth the effort?  I only found one online review and it wasn’t that unkind....

The Academy IS the Hobby Craft kit, and one of Hobby Crafts best kits. Not perfect, but builds into a sonvincing T-33.

Here is a bunch of Hobby Craft / Academy CT-133s, a couple Testors and even an Aurora.

FNBgroR.jpg

I bought the cockpit set for the academy kit a long time ago, so I already have money invested in the kit.  Still, I will check on the other kit and the reviews.  I still may just go with what I have and scratch build its E.C.M. pod, or whatever it is.

scan0002.jpg

Yes, it is one of Hobbycraft's better efforts.  So what?  I still own a dozen Hobbycraft kits, and used to have many more than that.  But like most of the kits in Hobbycraft's catalog,  the 1/48 Sea Fury kit, the 1/48 Bf 109 kits, the 1/48 F4U Corsair kits, the 1/48 P-40B/C Tomahawk,  etc., they have each been surpassed.  Like the kits I have mentioned, and many that I did not, the venerable Hobbycraft 1/48 T-33 kit has been eclipsed by a newer kit that is demonstrably more accurate, better engineered and better fitting.  The Hobbycraft T-33 is a caricature of the real thing.  It is curved where it should be straight and straight where it should be curved and once you see the error you can never "unsee" it.

Is the GWH kit perfect, I wouldn't say that.  Is the GWH kit more expensive than the HC kit?  Yes...it's also about 25 years newer and inflation is a female dog.  But in a cost/brain damage scatter plot, the GWH kit is great value for money compared to the Hobbycraft kit.  We only have one shot at this mortal coil...and we can all only build a finite amount of kits before we are pushing up the daisies.  It will take you less time and give you a more satisfying outcome if you start with a better kit.  So save yourself more time, and more brain damage...and pick up one of the excellent GWH T-33 kits.

Cameron

17 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

What is your point?  The errors and inaccuracies of the Hobbycraft/Academy kit are still the same five years later.

Of course the errors are still there but I was looking forward to the completion of the project and correction of errors as many others. Dai 

17 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

Yes, it is one of Hobbycraft's better efforts.  So what?  I still own a dozen Hobbycraft kits, and used to have many more than that.  But like most of the kits in Hobbycraft's catalog,  the 1/48 Sea Fury kit, the 1/48 Bf 109 kits, the 1/48 F4U Corsair kits, the 1/48 P-40B/C Tomahawk,  etc., they have each been surpassed.  Like the kits I have mentioned, and many that I did not, the venerable Hobbycraft 1/48 T-33 kit has been eclipsed by a newer kit that is demonstrably more accurate, better engineered and better fitting.  The Hobbycraft T-33 is a caricature of the real thing.  It is curved where it should be straight and straight where it should be curved and once you see the error you can never "unsee" it.

Is the GWH kit perfect, I wouldn't say that.  Is the GWH kit more expensive than the HC kit?  Yes...it's also about 25 years newer and inflation is a female dog.  But in a cost/brain damage scatter plot, the GWH kit is great value for money compared to the Hobbycraft kit.  We only have one shot at this mortal coil...and we can all only build a finite amount of kits before we are pushing up the daisies.  It will take you less time and give you a more satisfying outcome if you start with a better kit.  So save yourself more time, and more brain damage...and pick up one of the excellent GWH T-33 kits.

Cameron

That is why I went ahead with the GWH one. Dai 

On 5/26/2020 at 8:25 PM, dai phan said:

What seems to be the problems? Dai 

On my build, the nose cone was undersized compared to the fuselage.  During dry fitting, I noticed that step present, so during assembly, used a sanding stick to ensure no plastic bits were left to keep the major two-piece fuselage from fitting snug together!! Nothing is worst than a prominent part with a step!!  Did manage to sand and file down the fuselage so that step isn't, hopefully, too visible.  About ready to shoot final coat of NMF, so we'll see.

Bo

I picked up my Academy kit years ago at a price I could not pass up.  The decal sheet looks nice but I have not even removed parts from the bags.  It's not a subject I'm particularly passionate about so I can live with any inaccuracies, especially for the price I paid.

Sometimes price matters. I bought 6 a couple years back at 5 bucks each. Would not mind trying the new wunderkit, just don't have many schemes left I need to do.

You could always do ome of the Interceptor squadrons from the 80s, the 48th, 318th, or mine, the 5th.  Their high gloss colore look good against the same grey on their F-106s.

14 hours ago, jabow said:

On my build, the nose cone was undersized compared to the fuselage.  During dry fitting, I noticed that step present, so during assembly, used a sanding stick to ensure no plastic bits were left to keep the major two-piece fuselage from fitting snug together!! Nothing is worst than a prominent part with a step!!  Did manage to sand and file down the fuselage so that step isn't, hopefully, too visible.  About ready to shoot final coat of NMF, so we'll see.

Bo

Bo, can I see your built so far? Dai 

3 hours ago, ikar said:

You could always do ome of the Interceptor squadrons from the 80s, the 48th, 318th, or mine, the 5th.  Their high gloss colore look good against the same grey on their F-106s.

Helicopter ??? We are talking about T33 here. Dai 

5 hours ago, dai phan said:

Bo, can I see your built so far? Dai 

Won't be able to see anything.  In primer, and mask.  I'm building this one 'when I get around to it'!!  LOL!!

Bo

51 minutes ago, jabow said:

Won't be able to see anything.  In primer, and mask.  I'm building this one 'when I get around to it'!!  LOL!!

Bo

That sounds like it will be forgotten. I hope mine is not as bad. Dai