On 5/29/2020 at 1:02 AM, dai phan said:

Helicopter ??? We are talking about T33 here. Dai 

You do realize he is talking about T-33s right? They often flew as squadron hacks in the 1980s with the units he mentioned. There’s whole decals sheets dedicated to those units flying T-33s

On 5/28/2020 at 9:06 PM, ikar said:

You could always do ome of the Interceptor squadrons from the 80s, the 48th, 318th, or mine, the 5th.  Their high gloss colore look good against the same grey on their F-106s.

Always loved  the 318th scheme 

T-33A%2058-2106%20318%20FIS%201986%20ON%

The interceptor squadrons had the best paint jobs.  The 48th was good too, but I still favored the 5th F.I.S. because the colors stood out and also because I was in the squadron in the 80s.

We used our aircraft not just as runabouts but A.D.T.A.C./N.O.R.A.D. had us doing various things with them such as acting as enemy fighters to play the Canadian F-101s, our own 106s, and who ever showed up.  They were sometimes used as penetration aircraft, mini supply aircraft, scouts, and other things.  They were still versatile little guys

On 5/27/2020 at 9:15 AM, ikar said:

I bought the cockpit set for the academy kit a long time ago, so I already have money invested in the kit.  Still, I will check on the other kit and the reviews.  I still may just go with what I have and scratch build its E.C.M. pod, or whatever it is.

scan0002.jpg

The 106 also looked pretty sharp in that scheme. When they transitioned to the F-15 it just didn’t wear the colors as well!

13 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

You do realize he is talking about T-33s right? They often flew as squadron hacks in the 1980s with the units he mentioned. There’s whole decals sheets dedicated to those units flying T-33s

My apologies to the OP. I thought it was a joke as I misread " interceptor as helicopter" ! Damnation old age!  Dai 

Edited by dai phan

Maybe not, but there were regulation changes to meet the new aircraft colors.   At the same time Lt.Coe wanted to keep our squadron colors visible, and we were part of Air Defense Tactical Air Command and also part of N.O.R.A.D.  I built several Monogram models trying to give the tail markings the new look  he wanted.  I also added the lightning bolt pilot and crew chief markers as well as the yellow discs and stars on the main wheels and the large 5 F.I.S. on the commander's aircraft.  I think they put that on the exec's aircraft too.

The aircraft from the 48th stood out because of the contrast of white and blue against the grey paint.

On 5/30/2020 at 5:59 PM, ikar said:

The interceptor squadrons had the best paint jobs.  The 48th was good too, but I still favored the 5th F.I.S. because the colors stood out and also because I was in the squadron in the 80s.

We used our aircraft not just as runabouts but A.D.T.A.C./N.O.R.A.D. had us doing various things with them such as acting as enemy fighters to play the Canadian F-101s, our own 106s, and who ever showed up.  They were sometimes used as penetration aircraft, mini supply aircraft, scouts, and other things.  They were still versatile little guys

Would this decals sheet be appropriate for the early version? I wish decal companies would let us know which version this is for. Dai 

SX9dkEt.jpg

I toyed with the idea of getting either the Academy or the very old HAWK/Testors T-33 kit. I've had the HAWK kit years ago and for a very old kit at the time I thought it was pretty good albeit simple. I wanted to do one with US Navy markings.

One thing I did not like about the Academy kit was the shape of the fin. It just didn't look right and that was before I found out about the other shape issues it has. I patiently waited for the right time to pick up a GWH kit when funds and price converged. A friend had one and I knew I would not be satisfied if I settled for one of the other choices. To each their own. I'm not saying get the GWH kit. All I'm saying is I'm happier I waited to get the item I wanted.

19 minutes ago, jpk said:

I toyed with the idea of getting either the Academy or the very old HAWK/Testors T-33 kit. I've had the HAWK kit years ago and for a very old kit at the time I thought it was pretty good albeit simple. I wanted to do one with US Navy markings.

One thing I did not like about the Academy kit was the shape of the fin. It just didn't look right and that was before I found out about the other shape issues it has. I patiently waited for the right time to pick up a GWH kit when funds and price converged. A friend had one and I knew I would not be satisfied if I settled for one of the other choices. To each their own. I'm not saying get the GWH kit. All I'm saying is I'm happier I waited to get the item I wanted.

Ignore the Hawk/Testors kit. Too simple and not accurate. The HC although has flaws just like like the GWH can be built into a beautiful model. If you have the money buy the GWH. Dai 

For me, I can deal with the accuracy issues on the hobbycraft kit and the Hawk kit. The GWH is not without its own issues as well (although not as many and it is better detailed)

The others are cheap, and I already own a few. I can’t afford (and don’t want to spend the $$) the GWH for all the schemes  I want to do, and once in the display case the simple cockpit and lack of detail is not an issue for me.

I will still get ONE, but I’ve still got a bunch of the others I plan to keep and build. 

if I was going to only build 1 T-33 I’d probably go with the GWH kit. But that’s not the case

Same  with the F-4, too many schemes to buy a ZM for every build, so I’ve got a bunch of Monogram, Esci, and a couple of Hasegawa kits. I’ll still get One ZM kit though. 

anyone who wants to unload their awful horribly inaccurate Hawk/Testors/Hobbycraft/Academy T-33s I’ll gladly pay you $5 each for them. 😝

5 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

For me, I can deal with the accuracy issues on the hobbycraft kit and the Hawk kit. The GWH is not without its own issues as well (although not as many and it is better detailed)

The others are cheap, and I already own a few. I can’t afford (and don’t want to spend the $$) the GWH for all the schemes  I want to do, and once in the display case the simple cockpit and lack of detail is not an issue for me.

I will still get ONE, but I’ve still got a bunch of the others I plan to keep and build. 

if I was going to only build 1 T-33 I’d probably go with the GWH kit. But that’s not the case

Same  with the F-4, too many schemes to buy a ZM for every build, so I’ve got a bunch of Monogram, Esci, and a couple of Hasegawa kits. I’ll still get One ZM kit though. 

anyone who wants to unload their awful horribly inaccurate Hawk/Testors/Hobbycraft/Academy T-33s I’ll gladly pay you $5 each for them. 😝

I agree with you. The new GWH is very expensive ( twice as HC and 3 times at least with Hawk kit). I have no problem building the HC because I have the kit and it is very acceptable in my view. What NOT acceptable to me is the Linberg line which is more of a "representation" and cannot be considered for an average modeler. But for the HC offering, don't discount it because it does not have any obvious glaring errors that ruins the kit. Dai 

Edited by dai phan

I just took a look at the great wall kit.  Not for that price.  I will be going with the kit I already have, put in the cockpit set I bought a long time asgo, and use my 5th F.I.S. decals.  A much cheaper project and should go good with my F-106 kits and  my Hasegawa or even Monogram kit.  

When you look at my shot of one of our T-33s, getting covered with ice, or compacted snow, what type of pod is under the wing?  I never did ask anybody while I was there and am thinking of making one.  It should look interesting next to a F-106 with a A.C.M.J. pod on its left eing.