Dragon "Apollo Recovery"

• 10 months later...

I received this kit earlier this week, my observations:

• the SH-3D is the Cyber Hobby kit 'reboxed' with decals for Old #66, and features a full interior
  • the recovery 'basket' is photoetch
  • The Apollo CM lacks detail, the hatch and both side windows stand proud of the exterior shell
  • the hatch is molded closed, as are all the windows - just as well, as there is no interior
  • the EVA handle on the hatch is missing, only the four larger handles are included
  • the area under the upper heat shield is void of detail save for the two drogue chute motor tubes
  • the flotation ring and (3) balls are molded in black vinyl
  • a 'pre-finished' base (~5"x11") is included, but no stand to support a hovering SH-3D
  • the base doesn't have any wave patterns around the CM or rotor wash representation, or any 'green dye'
  • IMO the biggest omission is the lack of any figures - no astronauts, no frogmen, no pilots - making it impossible to make a convincing 'recovery' OOB

I paid ~$47 including shipping.

On 4/23/2021 at 1:50 PM, habu2 said:

I received this kit earlier this week, my observations:

• the SH-3D is the Cyber Hobby kit 'reboxed' with decals for Old #66, and features a full interior
  • the recovery 'basket' is photoetch
  • The Apollo CM lacks detail, the hatch and both side windows stand proud of the exterior shell
  • the hatch is molded closed, as are all the windows - just as well, as there is no interior
  • the EVA handle on the hatch is missing, only the four larger handles are included
  • the area under the upper heat shield is void of detail save for the two drogue chute motor tubes
  • the flotation ring and (3) balls are molded in black vinyl
  • a 'pre-finished' base (~5"x11") is included, but no stand to support a hovering SH-3D
  • the base doesn't have any wave patterns around the CM or rotor wash representation, or any 'green dye'
  • IMO the biggest omission is the lack of any figures - no astronauts, no frogmen, no pilots - making it impossible to make a convincing 'recovery' OOB

I paid ~$47 including shipping.

Obviously the chopper got there before they opened the hatch ;)
I have tried find printable 3d models at various sites and without paying $$$$ there's not a lot out there

15 hours ago, Aussie-Pete said:

Obviously the chopper got there before they opened the hatch 😉

....the Remotely Flown chopper....  😉 

Parts are included to build the chopper parked with rotors folded. Maybe a post-recovery carrier deck diorama.....

8 hours ago, habu2 said:

....the Remotely Flown chopper....  😉 

Parts are included to build the chopper parked with rotors folded. Maybe a post-recovery carrier deck diorama.....

Just another short sighted money grab by Dragon it sounds

On 4/26/2021 at 11:44 AM, Aussie-Pete said:

Obviously the chopper got there before they opened the hatch 😉

So who fitted the flotation collar I wonder? Maybe the divers are just out of shot, gathered together around their high-powered binoculars trying to spot the coast of Australia...

I think I'm with Habu on this: little plastic chaps should have been on the "minimum viable product" list. 😄