Font used for the RCAF Snowbirds CT-114 pilot's and avionics technician's names on the aircraft

Does anyone know what the font used on the current RCAF Snowbirds CT-114 aircraft for the pilot's name and the aircraft technician's names below the canopy is? Is there a close True Type font out there for it? I am working on a couple of Snowbirds CT-114 1/48 scale models and wanted to get a little more detailed with the paint/decals on them. The Belcher decal sheets (if you can still find them) are great: but don't have any decals for the pilot names and their aircraft technician names. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

6 minutes ago, Snowbird3a said:

the Belcher sheet is also old and doesn't have the up to date marking scheme that is used currently, it can be used(with modifications) up to a 2017 Snowbird.

Tony

Very true about the Belcher decal sheets. It still needs modification to do up to 2017 Snowbird aircraft livery. Best one that I have found currently. Still need to make some custom decals to make my kit more detailed... any thoughts or recommendations/suggestions about the font used for the script below the canopy for the pilot name and aircraft technician name ? 

Are you saying that there is no current Snowbirds decal sheet? Hmm - that looks like something I might be interested in addressing.

Anyhow - the font you're looking for is "MVB Mascot". Clearly they manipulate the kerning and spacing a little bit depending on the length of the name they need to fit on the canopy sill, but I am pretty certain I nailed the font. Look at the examples and see for yourself.

Unfortunately it is not a free font. But no worries, if someone decides to do a decal sheet he will buy the font (wink, wink).

KA

Caracal Models

snowbirdsfont.jpg

Edited by KursadA
1 hour ago, Soundguy007 said:

Very true about the Belcher decal sheets. It still needs modification to do up to 2017 Snowbird aircraft livery. Best one that I have found currently. Still need to make some custom decals to make my kit more detailed... any thoughts or recommendations/suggestions about the font used for the script below the canopy for the pilot name and aircraft technician name ? 

I see the font question is settled, however, if you wish; PM me and I could assist you with any other details you may want to add to your build.  I have a few years experience on the CT-114

Cheers, Tony

These are kits that I presently have that I am looking forward to building. The Hobbycraft kits are not the greatest regarding details and accuracy; Belcher Bits is a much more detailed resin kit of this aircraft. I think I will be doing a lot of scratch building to get the details right with Hobbycraft kits. I have two of the Hobbycraft 'Snowbird' kits and one of the 'RCAF Tutor' kits from Hobbycraft. Found a good supplier of the paint (apparently colour-matched to the RCAF Snowbirds colours)... Now, the hunt for a few good decal sets!

IMG_8714.JPG

IMG_8717.jpg

IMG_8727.jpg

KursadA,

you should branch out and start your own line of injection moulded kits....start with a 1/48 Tutor!!

I would be in for a bunch for sure..I am sure you could sell enough to make it worth your time. I know a few people around who would buy multiples of this kit!

Sean

7 minutes ago, Soundguy007 said:

I bet there would be several builders who would love to get their hands on a new issue of the CT-114 kit. I'd order a few for sure! Put my request in early for Christmas! 😉

I would be in for at least 4...snowbird, AETE, golden centennaires and for sure a Big 2 training scheme

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 5:17 PM, KursadA said:

Are you saying that there is no current Snowbirds decal sheet? Hmm - that looks like something I might be interested in addressing.

Anyhow - the font you're looking for is "MVB Mascot". Clearly they manipulate the kerning and spacing a little bit depending on the length of the name they need to fit on the canopy sill, but I am pretty certain I nailed the font. Look at the examples and see for yourself.

Unfortunately it is not a free font. But no worries, if someone decides to do a decal sheet he will buy the font (wink, wink).

KA

Caracal Models

snowbirdsfont.jpg

If you did this we’d have to make you an honorary Canadian.

On 5/27/2020 at 11:58 AM, Soundguy007 said:

I bet there would be several builders who would love to get their hands on a new issue of the CT-114 kit. I'd order a few for sure! Put my request in early for Christmas! 😉

There was a 1/32 kit planned but I’m sure it is no longer in the future, Kinetic had planned it. Sadly the Canadian connection to the product passed away. 

This would be a license to print money.

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

If you did this we’d have to make you an honorary Canadian.

Do you think I can find a kit on Ebay if I become an honorary Canadian? Because it sure looks like I can't find one as an American, lol.

4 hours ago, KursadA said:

Do you think I can find a kit on Ebay if I become an honorary Canadian? Because it sure looks like I can't find one as an American, lol.

Kursad, if you need one for sizing, I can let you borrow mine. I have a Hobbycraft, and Belcher kit.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:17 PM, KursadA said:

Nope.....no current Snowbird sheets.  If you do a sheet, be prepared to be asked for royalties or a cease and desist letter.  The Snowbird name and logos, etc. are all trademarked.  Having said that, I would certainly welcome a new Snowbird decal sheet!  I've got plenty of references to share and would be happy to help.  I also live two hours away from their home base, and I'm sure I can talk to someone at the squadron, if additional info/photos are needed. 

Edited by Colin K