thanks for letting me know about the Snowbird font ('MVB Mascot') for the canopy crew lettering on the Snowbirds CT-114. I think you are right and nailed the font. I have 3 of the Hobbycraft 1/48 scale kits in my stash that I am looking forward to building; along with a vintage Belcher resin Snowbird kit (also in 1/48 scale). I see the kits out there on ebay every now and then. That's where I found mine. No current Snowbird livery decals exist unless someone makes a custom one from scratch. The Belcher decal set for the birds is long out of print and has been very hard to find. That decal set has to be modified in order to give you a Snowbird up to 2017 livery I believe.  Would LOVE LOVE LOVE a 1/48 scale decal set for the current Snowbird livery! Thanks again for the info on the MVB Mascot font for the crew listing on the aircraft!

Hobby Craft Tutors, and Arrows rare becoming rare. But still show up on occasion at shows. You have to be fast to nab one.

1/72, you can find, 1/48 is MUCH harder. I see them available in the states as no-one know what the hell the planes are. In Canada...….rare.

The Canuck, in 1/48 is very hard. Mind you I have 2 Mk.4 and 2 Mk.5. Zero Tutors and Arrows. But I have built all 3 several times.

"Easily" is almost certainly too strong a description. According to Scalemates, it's been nearly 15 years since the last issue of the 1/48 kit, and over 20 for the 1/72 version.  I would think they should be reasonably available on the secondary market, but a quick scan of the "Bay of E" shows only one 1/72 kit listed and that asking $74.99 😨

All that being said, I suspect there would be a reasonable demand for this sheet in both scales because of the prominence of the team (esp. after the recent tragedy) and generally strong interest in national demonstration teams (e.g. your Patrouille de France sheet). 

Would it sell better after a new kit or reissue hits the market? Undoubtedly. But I do think it's a subject well worth covering, sooner rather than later.

Thanks as always for soliciting input.

Edited by Quixote74

Tutors are impossible to find; maybe at a local US show where nobody wants them, but I've been looking a long time without luck. Cockpit needs to be improved. Uncle Ricks Hobbies in the Pacific Northwest had a nice resin one, but they are long gone.

I managed to get a CF-100 in the last couple months for a not-too-outrageous BIN price on eBay, but finding aftermarket decals that are not around $40 each is even worse. May just have to mask/print my own.

Solid subject idea.  There are a lot of folks out there with Hobbycraft kits, and the kit decals are not the best. Outside of the standard markings, they have had lots of different smaller commemorative markings on their tails and fuselage through the years, "D-Day" stripes on the #1 bird at one time, etc.

BTW, I made names for mine using the free font download here: 
https://www.dafont.com/chronicdelivery.font

It's a font with "brush strokes" in it, but at 1/48 scale none of that shows up.

Edited by 82Whitey51

I'd love to see a new Snowbirds sheet...but I've already got a Hobbycraft 1/48 Snowbirds CT-114 kit along with the Uncle Rick's cockpit.  Just hasn't moved to the top of the stack.  A new sheet of decals would help.

Edited by Cameron Lynch

i have my Hobbycraft kits in 1/48th so I think I am good but it is very true that it is a rare bird indeed. And if you do find it, it will cost you an arm and two legs. I have a decal sheet from a company that made a resin version but as others have said, the decals are horrible as they come in the kits. Kursad, maybe if you do the decals, this would be the opportunity to combine scales on one sheet/sheets? Also, as you may know already, markings changed depending on the year. 

Another option to make it even more sellable is to include Malaysian markings since they were the only other user of the Tutor.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've seen them a few times at air shows and wanted to model one but can't find one at a decent price.

I model in 1/72 and I just saw 4 for over $80 U. S. but for less than 50 parts and 1980s

HC quality it just isn't worth it to me. I have done the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels to death

and this or the Starfighters would make an excellent addition to an "air show collection". I am

also on the prowl from time to time for a Canuck. All of these seem to be as rare as hens teeth. jon

Edited by jonwinn