Wondering what the hierarchy on 1/72 T-33 kits is nowadays.  I've done the Sword, which I'm told is still the best, apparently followed by Platz, which I have not done or seen.  35 yrs ago I did the Hasegawa one, so I know how utterly basic that one is.

How do the others rate?  Like, if I can't find another Sword or Platz with a reasonable price, is there a reasonable alternative for a halfway decent, simple, closed-canopy build?

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

I think the Platz is the best, but it is hard to find and fairly expensive. I've built Sword's F-80C and F-94B which are related, so I would guess their T-33 would rank second. Heller's kit is something to consider. It's a bit better than the ancient Hasegawa kit, but it hasn't been released in some time.

Thanks Paul!  Well, the Heller is still easy to find on Ebay, that and tons of Hasegawas.....you're right about the price of the Platz, wasn't sure what to attribute that to.  

So with a possible order of Platz/Sword/Heller/Hasegawa, I'm guessing that's the full extent of choices?

3 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

So with a possible order of Platz/Sword/Heller/Hasegawa, I'm guessing that's the full extent of choices?

Yup, that's it.

Pick your choose !

cheers, Tony

I just finished the Platz T-33 and was happy with it. The worst part was the wonky design of the vertical stabilizer, which you can see here in Step 3. 

The next most challenging aspect of the kit was selecting the markings to apply. So many good choices out there!

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Better fit, all plastic (no resin or photoetched, and that makes it easier to build). One of the things I noticed on the sprues of the Platz kit was a label saying "T-33 F-80" - I wish Platz would do a series of F-80s, but nothing in what, 10 years since the T-33 came out?

35 minutes ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

WOW....potentially excellent, except not sure when, right?

Not too long I assume as it's on the pre-order list at Lucky Model.

On 5/25/2020 at 11:36 PM, Paul Boyer said:

I think the Platz is the best, but it is hard to find and fairly expensive. I've built Sword's F-80C and F-94B which are related, so I would guess their T-33 would rank second. Heller's kit is something to consider. It's a bit better than the ancient Hasegawa kit, but it hasn't been released in some time.

Paul,

Platz is reissuing the T-33 kit in JASDF anniversary markings in June 2020; though I am not sure how COVID will affect the timeline.  HobbyLink Japan is taking pre-release orders now.

K/r,

Dutch

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

Platz is reissuing the T-33 kit in JASDF anniversary markings in June 2020 ... .

The HLJ Platz kit you linked shows the same box as a previous issue, and those markings were limited to JASDF (of course). Perhaps that box is only a placeholder, with new box art coming?

I'm confident that the Italeri boxing will have a great multi-national decal sheet, so I will definitely get that issue (or two).

Paul Boyer said:  ... on sprues of the Platz kit was a label saying "T-33 F-80" - I wish Platz would do a series of F-80s ... .

Yes, that would be great!! After reading your post, I dug out my Platz T-33 to F-80 conversion from many moons ago. I was about 85% complete when I lost my mojo. I'm surprised you haven't done that conversion, Paul ... or have you?

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

Didn't have to. I've already got a P-80A made from the old Airfix kit, and an F-80C made from the Sword kit built up. So no conversion work for me. I'll wait and see if Platz continues the line.

I agree Paul   The Sword and Airfix kits are pretty good.  BUT yes a Platz F-80 would be an easie piesie build.

I still like the Sword it has decent details and builds up nice....and they offer a RF-80 too to boot!

P/F-80 never gets any love in any scale...when it does they screw the pooch ....Hobbyboss 1/48 F-80--pretty bad.  Old Monogram is the only way in that scale.
Steve,

Paul, 

Very nice F-80 build.  Here is my Sword RF-80. 

I have a F-80C in the stasd to build later too.   Good to ehar from you

Steve,

DSCN1570-A.jpg

DSCN1573-A.jpg

Edited by scorvi

Thanks Paul....Speaking of Sword kits  Here is heh T2V kit of theres . 

I might of over weathered it a bit for a training airframe--lets call it end of use airframe that has been used a lot

Steve

DSCN0674-A.jpg