How to remove excess micro sol after it has dried

Interested in the answers others give. I’ve had the same problem. 

One thing that worked time to time is lightly buffing/sanding the decal area with Mr Clean Magic Eraser sheets (they also come in small foam blocks). This is more an eraser than a sanding sheet so you can buff out the Sol marks (or water marks). I found it levels the decal and surface gloss/paint with a slight dulling of the area. Your next overcoat of flat or semi/full gloss will make everything uniform again. 

Cheers

Collin

I have not tried this but it would seem trying a small bit of fresh microsol to dissolve the dried microsol, then cleaning with distilled water would work.

On 5/26/2020 at 6:55 AM, USAFsparkchaser said:

I just did an F-5 aggressor the gloss black version using Vallejo, first model I have airbrushes. After doing the decals I noticed a lot of excess micro sol that has dried and looks spotty all over the model. How do I remove this?

Could it be that the formic acid (the usual ingredient of 'sol') attacked your paint? In that case you cannot remove all of it.

Rob

On 5/29/2020 at 7:09 AM, Rob de Bie said:

Could it be that the formic acid (the usual ingredient of 'sol') attacked your paint? In that case you cannot remove all of it.

Rob

That sounds like a good possibility to me. Maybe we're over using Micro Sol. Are there any setting solutions out there less caustic?

Try a general clear coat- matte or gloss, your choice. Maybe just a small area on the bottom to test.  It's a simple solution that's worked for me for various transparent boo-boos. HTH- and cheers!

7 hours ago, chukw said:

Try a general clear coat- matte or gloss, your choice. Maybe just a small area on the bottom to test.  It's a simple solution that's worked for me for various transparent boo-boos. HTH- and cheers!

This!  I just finished a Tamiya F-4D Skyray. It looked terrible, with decal solution stains, uneven glossiness, minor decal wrinkles etc.. I shot some MM Acryl flat...all problems were gone!! I couldn't believe how nice it looked. That is my go to flat coat by the way...great stuff.

Bob

Habu2,

It is petroleum based.  All I know is it has no effect on Model Master enamels, Alclad II metallics, or on regular clear plastic or vacuformed canopies.  That being said, I use a cotton Q-tip, which after dipping into the Goo Gone is squeezed against the side of the bottle, then used , just damp, on the model.  I also wipe the excess away quickly, as it cleans away the unwanted masking, decal solvent or what-have-you at once.

Here's a shot showing a turret on my XB-40 build after using the Goo Gone to remove excess decal setting solution.  The lighter green framing is all decal strips, put on with Micro Sol, Micro Set and some Solvaset.  The darker green is MM enamel:

2v2ESYcTNxfzdhW.jpg

Ed