Hi,

A quick couple of questions regarding the MH-53 Pavelow. The cockpit upper glazing colour, is it smoke or dark green? Or is it something else?

Secondly, the support struts fitted from the upper airframe to the sponsons, I see pictures with and without, any reason when they came in and why (apart from the obvious, to support the sponsons)
Cheers in advance.

The windows above the pilots were green.  The support arms you asked about are from the HH-53B airframes.  There were only 8 of the B models built.   And not all of them were modified into Pave Lows.  The other Pave Lows came from the CH/HH-53C airframes.   The auxiliary fuel tank supports were built into the C model sponsons.  Which is why you don’t see them.  

4 hours ago, hawg53 said:

The windows above the pilots were green.  The support arms you asked about are from the HH-53B airframes.  There were only 8 of the B models built.   And not all of them were modified into Pave Lows.  The other Pave Lows came from the CH/HH-53C airframes.   The auxiliary fuel tank supports were built into the C model sponsons.  Which is why you don’t see them.  

Thanks for the information, pressing on with my Revell 1/48 conversion.

47 minutes ago, hawg53 said:

Have fun with your build.   I have one of these kits and a decal sheet with one of the 601st TASS helicopters out of Sembach AB in West Germany.   

Always wondered, what was the role of the -53 in that squadron?  

According to On a Steel Horse I Ride the 601st TASS used CH-53s to "assist redeploying units, provide logistics support to mobile TACS (tactical air control system) units, assist in the rapid movement of the air support radar teams, and render assistance in emergency rescue or medical evacuation missions.:

The primary mission of the 601st was to move mobile tactical radar equipment.   We did this by using external slings.   We moved the TPS-43 radar antennas, the control pods, and generators.  We were very good at flying sling loads.   We did rest of the things you mentioned also.   Just a note, the 701st TASS had the same mission.   That unit was located at Bergstrom AFB in Texas.  If the big war had broken out, we would’ve been sent to augment the 601st.   It was my first assignment.  

On 5/27/2020 at 1:22 AM, hawg53 said:

Have fun with your build.   I have one of these kits and a decal sheet with one of the 601st TASS helicopters out of Sembach AB in West Germany.   

I didn’t know anyone did decals for the Pave Low in 1/48, or have I got the wrong end of the stick on that?

3 hours ago, Wafu said:

I didn’t know anyone did decals for the Pave Low in 1/48, or have I got the wrong end of the stick on that?

hawg53's probably referring to this sheet: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/microscale-48-223-ch-53c-and-hh-53c-usaf--1237165

The 601st TASS aircraft mentioned was a CH-53C operating out of Sembach AB in the early 1980s, prior to conversion to a Pave Low...

....there was a Wolfpak 1/48 sheet which contained two Pave Low options: https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev3/2401-2500/rev2435-Wolfpak48004/00.shtm

but no others - although Caracal have this listed as 'Coming Soon': CD 48184: CH-53 Multiple marking options for USAF / US Navy / US Marine Corps twin-engine CH-53 variants. Includes USAF Super Jolly Green Giants, MH-53J Pave Low, Navy RH-53s and various USMC units.