Primer suggestions?

Hi guys,

I'm working on BPK's 72nd T-43 and am going to need to prime the entire kit, which I have never done before. I have primed small areas and seams, but never the entire kit. What is your favorite product and/or method? Thanks, Fred K.

I use black mr surfacer 1500 thinned with mr leveling thinner most often and like it a lot. Stynelrez (probably spelled that wrong!) is a really good primer as well, I just found it to be a pain to clean from the airbrush because it is pretty thick. I believe ammo's one shot primer may be stynelrez from what I've heard from others, but I'm not sure

25 minutes ago, Brenhen said:

I use black mr surfacer 1500 thinned with mr leveling thinner most often and like it a lot. Stynelrez (probably spelled that wrong!) is a really good primer as well, I just found it to be a pain to clean from the airbrush because it is pretty thick. I believe ammo's one shot primer may be stynelrez from what I've heard from others, but I'm not sure

Agree with Stynelrez being a pain to clean out of the airbrush once it dries (which it does fairly quickly). Even tried Badger’s Modelflex cleaner that they recommend, and it doesn’t completely work.  Only thing that I’ve found that really works is the Testors Model Master Acryl dried paint remover.

I'm all Mr Color, so as @Brenhen wrote, I use Mr Surfacer thinned with MLT. I thin and apply identically as Mr Color paint.

Thin to consistency of 1% milk. Full flow air pressure at 15 PSI (1 atm). Spray at 0.25 to 1.75 in. Should be slightly wet when it hits the surface; use a grazing light to see. Dries very quickly and should be very smooth.

BTW, I always prime.

HTH

-- 

dnl

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

I'm all Mr Color, so as @Brenhen wrote, I use Mr Surfacer thinned with MLT. I thin and apply identically as Mr Color paint.

Thin to consistency of 1% milk. Full flow air pressure at 15 PSI (1 atm). Spray at 0.25 to 1.75 in. Should be slightly wet when it hits the surface; use a grazing light to see. Dries very quickly and should be very smooth.

BTW, I always prime.

HTH

-- 

dnl

I recently saw an article over at Hyperscale in which the builder used Mr Primer white. I'm assuming that its something similar? A white primer would be better for me since the entire aircraft will be white anyway. How does it clean up? I'm a little concerned spraying it through my airbrush. Also, what is leveler? Like a thinner or something? Thanks to all who have replied! Fred K.

When I do prime I like Tamiya gray primer in the rattle can. This may sound blasphemous to most guys but I often use the final color as the primer and wet sand between coats. If I can avoid another layer of stuff, I’m all the more the happier.

1 hour ago, BillS said:

When I do prime I like Tamiya gray primer in the rattle can. This may sound blasphemous to most guys but I often use the final color as the primer and wet sand between coats. If I can avoid another layer of stuff, I’m all the more the happier.

I'm with you. I rarely prime.

3 hours ago, BillS said:

I've been thinking of using the Mr Surfacer 1000 from a rattle can. That would eliminate my concerns of running it through my airbrush. My concern with a rattle can is really burying the panel lines, and leaving a build-up around the windows/windscreen. Any comments? Thanks, Fred.

10 hours ago, f5guy said:

I recently saw an article over at Hyperscale in which the builder used Mr Primer white. I'm assuming that its something similar? A white primer would be better for me since the entire aircraft will be white anyway. How does it clean up? I'm a little concerned spraying it through my airbrush. Also, what is leveler? Like a thinner or something? Thanks to all who have replied! Fred K.

There's a Mr. Base White 1000 that i will use under white or yellow base coats. 

They clean up well. Don't forget, you're thinning it too the same consistency as paint (see above). Use regular hardware store lacquer thinner for cleaning. 

Mr. Color Leveling Thinner (MLT) is their thinner plus their leveling agent to slow down drying-- this is part of the magic that is Mr Color.