GREAT WALL HOBBY T-33A 1/48

Hello everyone,

I am done with my A7 and decided to work on the GWH T-33A instead of the AMK Fouga. I have always loved the plane and after some considerations I went for the GWH one although it has some reported outline issues. The problem I have with ordering after market decals is to know which versions to get ( early or late type). I ordered this Lybian scheme and I would like to know if this is applicable to the early or late type? I ordered the early version but may have to order the late type once the scheme is nailed down. The kit should be here by Friday. Dai 

8FjHICk.jpg

Hi Dai,

the early boxing should be correct.

In this photo (link) of your subject you can see the pitot on the lower fuselage, in front of the nose gear. This points to an "early" machine, "later" ones had the pitot relocated to the fuselage sides (see the end of this article for the differences between "early" and "late" T-Birds).

Looking forward to your build.

Cheers

Markus

4 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Dai,

the early boxing should be correct.

In this photo (link) of your subject you can see the pitot on the lower fuselage, in front of the nose gear. This points to an "early" machine, "later" ones had the pitot relocated to the fuselage sides (see the end of this article for the differences between "early" and "late" T-Birds).

Looking forward to your build.

Cheers

Markus

I cannot thank you enough. The kit should be arrived today. I also order some additional decals options. Dai

Greetings...

I have started my built and so far the impression is good. The seats and wheel wells are pretty detailed and the fit is well above average. I am waiting for the Eduard cockpit set to arrive which costs more than the cost of the kit ! I am not a fan of two halves wheels and weighted so I will need to order an after market. While waiting , assembled the main parts and no issues of fitting issues so far. Dai 

MWimoML.jpg

GWlXVS8.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings,

Shimming and sanding are done before the wings are joined to decrease collateral damage. Once installed a little bit of gap filling CA will take care of the gaps. Waiting for the photo etch parts to dress up the cockpit. Dai

iJBqUbG.jpg

UnZdaCp.jpg

Greetings...

The Eduard cockpit PE has arrived so the build continues. Still waiting for the seat belts to arrive. So far, no problems but the fit is average (less than what I thought initially). Dai 

iX3J8aC.jpg

9E05cNs.jpg

9TWXVbG.jpg

t1Aa1L0.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Good morning...

Initial silver coat goes on. I use Vallejo Metal Color silver instead of planned Mr Color because the plane has a long cockpit sides and that will require some touch up once the masking tape comes off. The problem with MC is that touch up with a brush is impossible to look right. The color seems darker and the layer looks thick and ugly. Will need to do some minor sanding to correct surface flaws not seen on the primer coat. Dai 

q39Ydy0.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings,

The surface texture of the Vallejo metal color is so rough so I sanded off the airframe, reprimed and shoot Mr Color Super Silver. What a night and day difference. Smooth as silk and if you need to knock off some rough areas with sandpaper, you can do so without having to respray again. Tomorrow will be masking and painting the walk way, anti glare and wheel wells. Dai 

VYa2tzd.jpg

hVL8LTA.jpg

Hello Dai,

really nice progress on your Shooting Star. I'm building one too and found the fit very nice overall. One really needs to test fit some parts (especially the intakes) and maybe one or two swipes with a sanding stick on the contact areas but then the fit is almost Tamiya-like.

The cockpit came out great.

Just if you are interested, the interior colour of the flaps could be very well aluminum. This colour picture shows it (Link 1) and on this it looks aluminum too (Link 2).

Cheers

Markus

4 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hello Dai,

really nice progress on your Shooting Star. I'm building one too and found the fit very nice overall. One really needs to test fit some parts (especially the intakes) and maybe one or two swipes with a sanding stick on the contact areas but then the fit is almost Tamiya-like.

The cockpit came out great.

Just if you are interested, the interior colour of the flaps could be very well aluminum. This colour picture shows it (Link 1) and on this it looks aluminum too (Link 2).

Cheers

Markus

Thank you so much for your reply. Please post your build here so I can see your bird. Since I already painted the flaps, I just may as well leave them alone. Dai 

Unforunately my T-33 is on hold since more than 2 year and at the moment I simply don't have much time for modelling (sometimes it feels like I'm the only one with this "problem").

Regarding the flaps, you could spray them aluminum without much effort. The flap interior on the upper wing could be left as is. If you look at the linked colour photo one can see that it seems to be zinc cromate green while the flap itself is aluminum.

Cheers

Markus

2 hours ago, Tato said:

Looking awesome Dai!

Love the NMF. Did you applied a clear coat after painting? Love the shine.

Cheers

Tato

I did not apply clear coat as it will kill the shine. So far any clear coat will degrade quality of the metal finish. Dai 

Hello Dai.

Have you considered polishing the clear coat after applying to the NMF?

Would be worth a try with some test on some styrene with the layers you applied on your T-33.

F1 car  builders do it all the time.

Nice work you show us, I really like your clean style of modeling.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Happy Saturday night everyone...

Finished decaling the plane. The decals come from LF Models in CZ. You have to trim the away the clear coating. The images are quite thick even Solvaset does not have any effects but the clear coating is quite thin. It responds well to Solvaset and not noticeable at all when dried. Because the clear coat is so thin the ink can be rubbed of quite easily and I will have to do some touch ups later. Also the registration is poor. I have yet to clear coat ( if at all ) and I will have to be extra careful when comes to the wash. The clear carrier border film can catch the wash and ruin the model entirely.  Dai 

zIRcllu.jpg

sdngPMu.jpg

HEGys1c.jpg

Edited by dai phan