GREAT WALL HOBBY T-33A 1/48

On 6/13/2020 at 4:43 AM, Gonzales said:

Hello Dai.

Have you considered polishing the clear coat after applying to the NMF?

Would be worth a try with some test on some styrene with the layers you applied on your T-33.

F1 car  builders do it all the time.

Nice work you show us, I really like your clean style of modeling.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Hi Robert,

The Mr Color Super Silver is not buffable so I could not buff it afterwards. And I have yet to find a clear coat that does not degrade the quality of the NMF. Dai 

Edited by dai phan

Hello all,

Disaster strikes! I was out of Mr Color silver so I used Mr Metal Color aluminum to paint the gear struts and speed break actuators. Even after 3 days of drying the paint is easily rubbed off and the silver specs got into my hands and the course of handling the plane to install the parts, silver specs got all over the decals. When trying to gently remove the specs, the ink came off the decals!  Now I had to remove 90% of the decals and buy new sheets. The quality is rather poor so I had to buy three so I could choose the best to go on the plane. I was so tempted to strip all the decals and use the quality Caracal decals but the Libya scheme is unique so I am going to keep it as is. I am surprised to find Mr Metal Color is rather poor as the paint is easily got rubbed off. Dai 

18 hours ago, dai phan said:

I am surprised to find Mr Metal Color is rather poor as the paint is easily got rubbed off. Dai 

Mr Metal Color is buffable and so needs sealing to prevent being rubbed off.

Jon

Hello all,

I happen to find a set of decals that have the same markings of the LF set so I ordered it and stripped of the old decals. Thankfully the decals were so thick so they did not adhere well and easily removed. If anyone wants this sheet, let me know as I only use the Libyan scheme out of 16 planes. Dai 

npsEOpx.jpg4otLQS2.jpg

Hello all,

The plane is 99% done. May need to do some more weathering before going to the display case. A few thoughts on this kit:

Pros:

1. Good, simple easy to build kit.

2. Good detailed cockpit, seats and wheel wells.

3. Posable canopy and flaps. 

4. Nice colorful decal sheet.

5. Nose weight is included.

6. Ladder is included ( nice touch! ). 

Cons:

1. Parts fit is poor on the underside where the wings meet the fuselage.

2. Instrument decals are too simplified and hard to see.

3. Decals are thick and not responding to decal setting solution ( I use Solvaset).

4. Inaccurate painting diagram of the anti glare panel and gear doors relative positions. Check your reference! 

5. Some parts are crude and un-scale (flap activators). I omitted them. 

6. Landing gear covers have to be cut individually and separated. 

Some has mentioned the errors in the outline but they are so minor in my view that I recommend the GWH T33 as the best in 1/48 scale. Dai 

dZG9zsr.jpg

s78cQqG.jpg

RwWxab7.jpg

JkG7s5F.jpg

r780Gv9.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello Dai,

your T-Bird came out great, glad you got replacement markings. Would have been a pity if you would have to switch to other markings as Royal Lybian aircraft are seldom seen built 👍

Cheers

Markus

15 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Nice result! :thumbsup: 

Note to self: Must look at more T-33s. Surely some interesting camo/marking options out there.

I have a VERY nice Armycast T-33 sheet with 15 A/C if anyone is interested. Dai 

4otLQS2.jpg

Edited by dai phan