F-14 dumb bomb load

I know the following picture is a test load-out with dummies, but does anyone have any intel what kind of ejector racks they were usung? Looks like TERs...?

754px-F-14_loaded_with_bombs.jpg

HAJO

I can't remember the designation, but they're not TERs.  Originally I believe the Phoenix pallets had hardpoints for bombs on the corners.  The DCS F-14B has the loadout sort of modeled if you want more documentation.

It's from when the very first Tomcats were flight testing (early 70's).  There was a type of Phoenix pallet made with bomb hardpoints (thus not technically making it a Phoenix pallet, but hey...).  Completely different from the Bombcat racks that came about after Desert Storm.

Another shot:

4m2K2XS.jpg

Closer view:

gn3vEYO.jpg

I even tried it years ago on a "What-If" USMC Tomcat build, although I goofed and put the aft-most bombs inboard rather than outboard of the pallets....

http://hsfeatures.com/f14amarinesad_1.htm

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Yeah, your ground pounder F-14 is cool! I have the idea of doing a "what-if" with exactly that bombload from above, and was wondering if I just glue them to the Phoenix rails or have some sort of Bomb Rack Unit between.

HAJO

The racks used were BRU-21 and BRU-22 bomb racks, they bolted to the side of the Weapon Rails (after you opened the panel on the side of the rail).

The BRU-21/22 is basically a modified rack off of a MER/TER, two (1 forward, 1 aft) per each side of the rail so a rail could carry 4 x Mk 82 with the exception of the aft rails. The aft rails could only carry 3 x Mk 82 (2 forward, 1 aft outboard) due to not enough space between the rack and the fuel dump mast.

The racks were tested during the initial testing phase of the Tomcat but it was decided not make them operational due to restricted release conditions caused by the racks weak ejection velocity which under certain conditions cause the bomb to "float" in the tunnel (area between the nacelles) and strike the bottom of the aircraft.

When the Tomcat was sold to Iran several sets of the racks were also sold, there are several pics of an Iranian Tomcat (including the pic above) configured with these "initial" bomb rails.

If you notice, the LAU-93 Phoenix Launcher is still in the rail.

To make one of these "bomb rails", simply  carve out the angle side of the rail forward and aft to so you have a 90 degree cut out and glue in a bomb rack from a MER/TER.

Pic of a BRU-22

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmarvineng.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F5%2F2018%2F02%2Fbru22_tn2.png&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmarvineng.com%2Fproduct%2Fbru-22a%2F&tbnid=e1aMECkL-QkmRM&vet=12ahUKEwin7JKOwdXpAhVIBt8KHZiFC7sQMygPegUIARDzAQ..i&docid=mZ-qrbPHa0_quM&w=360&h=200&q="BRU-21"&ved=2ahUKEwin7JKOwdXpAhVIBt8KHZiFC7sQMygPegUIARDzAQ#h=200&imgdii=6ud7nM3cXykCjM:&vet=12ahUKEwin7JKOwdXpAhVIBt8KHZiFC7sQMygPegUIARDzAQ..i&w=360

The side of a rail normally looks like this

I

\

\_______

Cut it out to look like this

I___

I

I________

This only applies to Weapon Rails used on the F-14A/B, the rails used on the F-14D did not have the side panels and thus could not be configured with the bomb racks.

hth

GW

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I´m also looking for a decent F-14 to turn it into a heavy mud-mover! 😉  I´m considering the new Academy F-14A in 1/72. Any idea if Academy is doing any new versions on this kit soon?

HAJO

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello,

even if it is not a very recent post, I have a complementary question: on which operationnal squadron(s) was this configuration used (even just for exercices)? Because in the Squadron/Signal walkaround book, it is possible to find a picture of this kind on bomb rack installed in the forward position on a Tomcat from the VF-32 (grey/white scheme), but was is used on other squadron(s) and when?

Thanks,

colargol

To my knowledge no operation squadron flew that configurations, they may have installed the racks but I don't know of any operation squadron actually employed bombs using that configuration. All the info I've been able to gather was that configuration was only flown by the LRIP test birds. There is a slight possibility that pic is of a test bird and not a VF-32 aircraft (even though VF-32 is painted on the Phoenix Fairing), the test community was known for "borrowing" gear from operation squadrons from time to time (happened to me when I was in VF-101, NATC Strike (now VX-23) came down to Oceana in a box truck and "borrowed" a couple of weapons rails and fairing from us for a test).

hth

GW

On 2/3/2023 at 12:27 AM, GW8345 said:

To my knowledge no operation squadron flew that configurations, they may have installed the racks but I don't know of any operation squadron actually employed bombs using that configuration. All the info I've been able to gather was that configuration was only flown by the LRIP test birds. There is a slight possibility that pic is of a test bird and not a VF-32 aircraft (even though VF-32 is painted on the Phoenix Fairing), the test community was known for "borrowing" gear from operation squadrons from time to time (happened to me when I was in VF-101, NATC Strike (now VX-23) came down to Oceana in a box truck and "borrowed" a couple of weapons rails and fairing from us for a test).

hth

GW

Thanks for the informations !

colargol