Small detailing (i.e. Mottling) with Mission Model Paints?

Hi All,

Posting here for some insight from anyone who has had experience with Mission Model Paints and doing such smaller detailed work as German (or other) mottling work.  It's been my experience, (as extraordinarily limited as it may be), that one of the great advantages of using lacquer based paints (at least the better ones) is that you can thin (i.e. reduce) those paints to such a great 'liquidity' while still maintaining adequate pigment concentration, so that one can reduce airbrush pressure substantially for detail work such as mottling.  Not saying that you can't do mottling at higher pressures, just that I think it's easier at lower pressures and with the airbrush nozzle much closer to the model.  Since Mission Model themselves state that it's part of their paint design to spray the paints at slightly higher pressure that what some folks are used to, because you don't thin their paint as much as a lacquer paint.  They even say in the FAQs that you can't over-thin their paint without getting undesirable side-effects, like spidering, etc.  

Sooooo...what does that mean for those wishing to use their paint, and also wishing to do detail work such as mottling?  Higher pressure seems the enemy of close-in work, which, per the conventional wisdom, is typically necessary for work like mottling.  How have others dealt with this?  I know there is no substitute for practice to see what works, but I'd like to gather some others' knowledge to use as a starting point before I delve off on my own...presuming someone, preferably several of you, have this experience, and can give me some pointers to start with.  Any ideas, folks?

I use ammo paints so this may seem off topic but...i do a lot of close in touch up, weathering and spot detailing and find working with higher pressure in close  gives much better results.  I heard the sane thing about lower pressures in close but it's not been the case for me.   I use an iwata hp b plus with the pressure around 20.  It's taken practice to feather the trigger just right but it's become my go to and I've gotten consistent success.

30 minutes ago, Napalmakita said:

I use ammo paints so this may seem off topic but...i do a lot of close in touch up, weathering and spot detailing and find working with higher pressure in close  gives much better results.  I heard the sane thing about lower pressures in close but it's not been the case for me.   I use an iwata hp b plus with the pressure around 20.  It's taken practice to feather the trigger just right but it's become my go to and I've gotten consistent success.

Hmmm...interesting!  I haven't honestly tried to mottle the Mission paint yet, and perhaps I just need to get off my bottom and try it.  Maybe higher pressure isn't the enemy of detail, as you have found.  Thank you for your post!