EF-111A intake trunk colors help.

Hi All,

Anyone know how far the light gray (FS36492 Dawn Gray) color extends into the intake trunk on the "Sparkvark"?

I can't seem to find any decent walkaround pictures to determine how far back the color goes into the intake.  I know it's not like the white used on say, the Aussie F-111C where it's on the cowls and goes up to the first-stage compressor blades.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

WARDOG

Thanks for the info, Mr. Vark!

I am using my (61-year) old eyes here and it looks like the intake becomes Gloss White right about where there appears to be a small kink in the trunking (on the right-hand side) but, that may be an optical illusion.  I was thinking it was sort of like on F-15s and A-7Ds where the intake is the same color as the fuselage for about the first six feet and then it's Gloss White for inspection purposes.

Great pic and Thank You again for your help and your service to the country,

Respectfully,

Glynn "WARDOG" Jacobs

Flew Navy! (Training Command)

15 hours ago, Glynn Jacobs said:

I am using my (61-year) old eyes here and it looks like the intake becomes Gloss White right about where there appears to be a small kink in the trunking (on the right-hand side) but, that may be an optical illusion.  I was thinking it was sort of like on F-15s and A-7Ds where the intake is the same color as the fuselage for about the first six feet and then it's Gloss White for inspection purposes.

I'm 99.99999% sure what you're seeing on the inboard side of the intake is the sliver of light shining into the trunk from the open cowl slot (more visible on the outboard side, at top left of the photo).

This photo from Jim Rotramel's page isn't definitive but shows the exterior of the "slot" and gray, rather than white, on the interior beyond:

EF-111 Inlet

The light level in @mrvark's photo is pretty even through most of the duct, and it would take a significant shading difference to make FS36492 and white look the same even in low ambient light when directly adjacent to each other on the same surface and under the same lighting conditions. Compare, for example, the wheels and landing gear to the lower fuselage and exterior gear doors on photos of any parked Spark Vark.

Hi Quixote74,

Appreciate the response.

Your pic definitely shows the Dawn Gray extending to at least past the translating cowl.  As mentioned above, some aircraft types (A-7D, F-15) have about six feet of the surrounding body color extending into the intake and then the rest of the intake up to the compressor blades is gloss white.

I realize the extra light was coming in from the open translating cowl on the picture Jim sent me but it seemed to get a bit lighter farther down the trunk.

Getting closer to the correct answer,

WARDOG