working with Eduard metal. lessons/advice?

please give me your sage advice in playing with eduard detail kits.   cutting, glueing, paint... I'm a noobie and doing my first model with the metal cut.  Maybe you have a top three or so?  a warning?  lemme have it please.

it begins!!  the thrill of the build!

101535089_10219340444554392_114290186559

BasicScholarlyGonolek-small.gif

Magnifying glass/lenses, a brand new exacto/cutting blade, tweezers, tamiya tape n a small 6x6 piece of glass.  I lay a couple strips of tape onto the glass, lay the parts sprue over the tape n cut each piece..always keep a finger over the small part as you cut because it will otherwise fly across the room at near supersonic speed n into a wormhole.  I keep another piece of tape, sticky side up, in case I need to place a part down.  As for gluing I like the Gorilla super glue n Ammo makes a white glue for clear parts n PE that works well.  I drop a Hershey kiss size drop of glue on the glass n use a toothpick or small section of wire to put glue onto the model, pick the PE part up wth the tweezers n place it on the spot.  Less glue the better..you can add more if you need but cleaning up if you over glue can go south fast.

thanks!

phew, my back is sore.

yes there's glue everywhere. more judicious application will follow

Had to go the bathroom to get the toe nail side cutters for removing parts from metal sprue.

thought I'd lost a part; looked everywhere then found I'd doubled it on same pitch rod.

there's no way I could do this without my new magifying glass/lamp.  holy moly.  48 years old eyes are 48.

100737626_10219343448029477_241301588220

Edited by Bounce
1 minute ago, Bounce said:

thanks!

phew, my back is sore.

yes there's glue everywhere.  

Had to go the bathroom to get the toe nail side cutters for removing from metal sprue.

thought I'd lost a part; looked everywhere then found I'd doubled it on same pitch rod.

there's no way I could do this without my new magifying glass/lamp.  holy moly.  48 years old eyes are 48.

100737626_10219343448029477_241301588220

Yep..i finally gave in a started wearing readers n use jewellers lenses...hey, my models look a lot better tho...enjoy the build👍

I have found this tool to be invaluable.  It is a photoetch cut off set made by "The Small Shop". It is a 4"x4" piece of black plexiglass with a clear hold down tool. You place the PE part sprue on the black plexiglass and then lay the hold down tool over the part you are going to cut off, leaving the cut off spot uncovered of course, then you can use a sharp xacto knife blade to cut off the part. It prevents parts from flying off, keeps fingers away from the blade and the back surface makes the parts easy to see. I use one of the curved xacto blades to do my PE cutting. I find it allows me to get the sharp part of the blade in contact with the cutting spot without effecting any other nearby parts.

The set can be bought here: https://thesmallshop.com/collections/photo-etch-cut-off-sets/products/sms015-photo-etch-cut-off-set-standard-by-the-small-shop

DSC_0051_1024x1024@2x.JPG?v=1525716923

The also make the "Hold and Fold" PE bending sets which are very useful for folding some of the larger or more complex PE parts. There are a few different companies making PE folding tools. I have the equivalent of their current 5.5" set. Their Hold and Fold sets are here:

https://thesmallshop.com/collections/photo-etch-bending-tools

They are, unfortunately, not cheap. But if you do a lot of PE, they are worth it.

Edited by Mstor

thanks!  I ordered the Trumpeter/small bender.

and an exacto kit and some PE snips.

got some dremmel cutting blade disks too!   those Loach doors aren't gonna remove themselves! (old Revell 0h-6a kits)

• 2 months later...

it arrived today!  ch-46e mission is a go. GO GO GO

LOL, save 25$ wait two months.

greygoose dirty with Sam's club olives

117589883_10219931959501896_734580138059

Edited by Bounce

After you have all your PE there is oil from your fingers and the manufacturing on the surface which can interfere with the paint adhesion. Make a 50/50 water vinegar mix then take a qtip dampened with a mix and lightly rub the parts. The vinager will etch the surface great for priming and painting.