Vallejo metallic varnish

I already posted in jet modeling, but thought I would ask here as well. I just painted a F-86 with Vallejo metallics. For using the Vallejo varnish for metallics. Do I thin it? should I spray a coat on before decals and after decals are applied? Or should apply decals then spray the varnish?

3 hours ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

I already posted in jet modeling, but thought I would ask here as well. I just painted a F-86 with Vallejo metallics. For using the Vallejo varnish for metallics. Do I thin it? should I spray a coat on before decals and after decals are applied? Or should apply decals then spray the varnish?

I would stay away with any kind of varnish as it will degrade the quality of the metal coat. This I have heard from some experienced modelers. I stopped doing so on mine. Dai  

27 minutes ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

So what clear coat do you use over Vallejo metallic and the decals

Hi Sparkchaser

So here is my recommendation for using Vallejo Metallic. I have been using Vallejo metallics for several months now and tested several types of varnish. 

I do not recommend using Vallejo metallic varnish on metal finish. I know this sound strange but honestly it's just not that great.

My recommendation, use Tamiya X-22 thinned 50/50 with Mr. hobby thinner. It does not dull the finish and good barrier for washes/decals. Now for a final varnish, I recommend the Alclad lines of finishes. Depending on the look you're going for, they have a light sheen, flat, semi-matte finishes.

Let me know if you have any questions.