Operation Overlord - 76 years

What will you be doing to recognize this epic day in history? 6 June 1944

I will paying homage to these men/women by watching a move or two. First up...Saving Private Ryan. Maybe some Band of Bros.

Cheers

Edited by AlienFrogModeller

What I'll be doing is thinking about my Grandfather, Great Uncle, Dad, Uncle, Brother, and Nephew, who all had their health destroyed by being in the service, Agent Orange, on board ship injuries, being captured in Italy, PTSD, so forth and so on.

Maybe watch some band of brothers.  I out my Father's parachute patch in the tin box with the dvds.

My Father never really talked much about the war.  Most of what I did find out was from his friends at the V.F.W. and the volunteer rescue squad we3 were both members of while I was in high school.  One of the few things he told me about was being in England and while walking around town he was volunteered to drive a tank transporter to a certain location.  Despite the fact he tried to explain being air corp, he had never even ridden in one before.  He said that it's amazing how wide and long that thing was when trying to maneuver in town.  They lost some fence, bushes and the corners of a few buildings.

There were many stories that followed years later, including his admission that somewhere along the way he was in the O.S.S. That one he told me just before he died.

After hearing some of the things from his friends and my Mother I'm not surprised that he was very selective about what he watched on T.V.  He might catch a episode of Victory at Sea once in a great while but almost nothing to do with the war.  I never even noticed when he left when Hogan's Heroes came on.  He eventually got me my own B/W set for my room .

Through his influence I joined the Air Force when I got drafted and managed to go into the Security Police, law enforcement field.  During the war I learned to drive armored vehicles and during alerts most of the time I would be assigned a M-113 or M-706 with a 13 man quick reaction team.

I'm fairly sure he was proud of me for that.  I could have refused to go and ended u p in jail or gone into permanent exile in Canada.

Does anyone have stories about their Fathers or Grandfather they would like to share?  These menories and thoughts should be written down before they arel lost.

My father's father was Army infantry and served on the Philippines in 1944. He was walking point one day through the forest when he came onto a clearing. Not 20 feet away a Japanese soldier also walked into the clearing at the same time. After a stunned pause from both my grandfather fired first.  He never told me that story-his daughter did.

One of my uncles served on a minesweeper off Okinawa in 1945. This much he told me. After he died his youngest son told me his ship was struck and sunk by a G4M Betty kamikaze. He was awarded the Navy Cross for saving what shipmates he could.