Is (was) the rear cockpit of the F-89D similar to the J? I thought it might have been, until yesterday.  I got the Pavla F-89D/J cockpit set, and the instructions are confusing.  Although it's supposed to be for the D/J, the instructions claim the two choices of rear instrument panels are for the D and the C (I repeat, the set was supposed to be for the D & J).  Furthermore, the "J"-looking panel with the large scope is claimed to be the "C", and the very simple panel, no scope, is claimed to be for the D.  So, I'm confused.  

I have the Squadron Walkaround book on the Scorpion, but the cockpit photos *seem* to show retired J 'pits (not well labeled as far as subtype).

Images from the set:

IxeJ3ZN.jpg

ixho9u4.jpg

ifGE7WQ.jpg

KMKUPST.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Thanks Robert, found just the pics on the 46th page, showing the D rear! Very much appreciated! :cheers:

Can now confirm the Pavla instructions are incorrect; the "D" rear panel is actually correct, and the claimed "C" panel is the "J". 

I guess I figured the D and J would be similar since the J was an upgraded D (kinda like the Navy F-4B/N and J/S).

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
1 hour ago, SCOUT712 said:

Out of curiosity , where is the radar scope on the J- panel?

Thanks

Scout

Look at "R11" on the last photo; it's the cylinder which is shown in the stowed position, pointed straight up.  Apparently it would angle out to the operator (hinged at the bottom) then fold back, is my understanding.

1 hour ago, SCOUT712 said:

Thanks, I could not find a clear picture of it in the web.

A couple pics here from the restoration on the J at the Heritage Flight Museum.  You can see it stowed (completely vertical), and in two different positions with the guys sitting in the seat.

wbym7yg.jpg

Mlzc0C8.jpg

A7OlGsC.jpg