The M3 is, while being upgraded again, the only version still operational. So if you want a recent variant, that's the one.

On the outside, the M3 is very recognisable by it's 'Foxbat' shaped intakes. Where the M2 had Phantom/Flogger like intakes. 

Greetings

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 7:41 AM, Fiddler said:

The M3 is, while being upgraded again, the only version still operational. So if you want a recent variant, that's the one.

On the outside, the M3 is very recognisable by it's 'Foxbat' shaped intakes. Where the M2 had Phantom/Flogger like intakes. 

Greetings

What he said.

The other difference is the nose (straight for the M2 and upturned for the M3) and the tail turret. While the only operational is the M3, I find the M2 way "cooler". I don't know the exact timeslot, but more or less the M2 was put out of service in the mid '90s.

Edited by Yuri

The State Aviation Museum at Zhulaniy in Kiev, Ukraine has examples of 3 Backfires - the M0, M2 and M3.

I photographed them in 2010.....

Tu-22M0 (prototype)..........

day03_018.jpg

Tu-22M2 'Backfire-B'....

day03_019.jpg

Tu-22M3 'Backfire-C'......

day03_020.jpg

There was a one-off 'M4' - a proposed upgraded Tu-22M3 fitted with NK-32 engines from a Tu-160 'Blackjack' - which I photographed at Ryazan in 2005.

Note the 4 rows of auxiliary intakes (the 'standard' Backfire has only 3..)

day_03_13.jpg

The Air Force museum at Monino has a Tu-22M0........

day_06_25.jpg

... and has recently aquired an M3 from the Air Force Academy next door......

day4_042.JPG

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

I got the "B" when it first came out. I was disappointed to find no flaps on the wing gloves. Odd, the box art shows them but the kit doesn't. So don't show any of it opened... flaps or slats. One of the many, MANY reasons I don't buy TrumpBoss stuff anymore. They seem to screw the pooch on just about every aircraft kit they produce... Not all, just most. JMHO

DET1460

I'm with you on this one DET1460!

I have a 1/72nd HB Rafale M kit that clearly shows the IRTS ball on the box's painting but is found NOWHERE in the box!  I've been trying to buy a replacement part but to no avail! 

Their 72nd Lynx says "Royal Navy Lynx Mk.2" but clearly shows a French Mk.2 (FN) and does not include British decals!  Also, there is missing or incorrect color information! 

I have a few of their 72nd kits that I like but I also believe they could do a better job with describing and depicting what is in their boxes.  Maybe I could get a job with them and get paid with models!

Stay Well,

WARDOG

On 7/1/2020 at 4:56 AM, DET1460 said:

I got the "B" when it first came out. I was disappointed to find no flaps on the wing gloves. Odd, the box art shows them but the kit doesn't. So don't show any of it opened... flaps or slats. One of the many, MANY reasons I don't buy TrumpBoss stuff anymore. They seem to screw the pooch on just about every aircraft kit they produce... Not all, just most. JMHO

DET1460

Is it just missing the option to depict the flap lowered or even the hinge line detail?

In the first case it's not a great deal.... in fact I hate drooped flaps, especially if like in this situation the plane is usually parked with the wings fully swept back to save ramp space. Anyway it's true.... Trumpeter has a great level of detail, however sometimes they make some blunders....