I recentlly completed a 1/48 CA Savage for a client and sent it off. He was pleased but wanted to know if I could change the white canopy framing to blue. No problem. He sent it back, I fixed it, and then sent it on its way via USPS Priority Mail. All is well until it doesn't show up. Then the comedy of errors begins. I put all of the receipts with tracking numbers of packages I send in one place. I pull out the stack only to find it's not there. I have no idea where it is. So, no tracking number. No problem. I'll use the spare canopy that came with the kit. Unfortunately, we were cleaning up because the house was for sale. The box (with spare canopy inside) was accidentally thrown away. I tried a search through the post office. Apparently they can't access the kiosk I mailed it from to find the tracking number. Without that, they can't help. I know this is total long shot, but if anyone has the CA kit and still has the spare vac canopy, I would be indebted to you if I could get it. I have a Mattel vac machine, so I could even make spare copies. Ugh! What a mess!

Darren,

I feel your pain.

I can't help with the canopy but I can relate a similar experience.  I am a bike shop owner and we had customer in the Marines, stationed in Okinawa, who came home stateside to visit his family and he is a cyclist.  He decided to purchase a bike (not a cheap one) while he was home and have us ship it to Okinawa.  This opened a can of worms.  He had an APO address for shipping purposes and UPS and FedEx don't ship to APOs.  We had to use USPS.  Postal has box size limitations, so we had to take the bike apart and put the frame in one box and the wheels in another box to meet the size limitations.  We shipped them off to his address.  A month or so later we get a message from him that he has only received one of the boxes with the frame.  We try to initiate tracking but to no avail.  USPS claims it is lost in Japan, Japan says it is lost in USA.  After a couple weeks of trying to find out what happened , we sent him a new set of wheels (not cheap ones).  He messages us a couple weeks later that he got the wheels and a couple days later the original pair showed up.  Now he has to mail a pair back to us.  It was a mess we will never do again. 

Good luck with the canopy hunt.

Geoff M

Wish I could help, but it’s one kit I don’t have. 

Every year a make wall calendars for myself and a few others via Snapfish using my Kodachrome slide collection. This year they made it to within 6 hours from me and evaporated into the Nexus.   Post office never did find them, even with all the tracking and shipping info. I think they got heisted, but who knows. 

Rick L. 

11 hours ago, Napalmakita said:

I can't get past the part where you sent a model in the mail and it got there in one piece😳...and sorry about the canopy

Bubble wrap and Fiberfill. They are the best things to ship a model. You wrap the model loosely in several layers of bubble wrap then surround it with a bed of Fiberfill.

5 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Bubble wrap and Fiberfill. They are the best things to ship a model. You wrap the model loosely in several layers of bubble wrap then surround it with a bed of Fiberfill.

Thanks Darren.  I spent days researching and thought I had a solid set up, but I sent 2 models to a buddy and it did not go well.  Maybe I'll give it another go...I'll reach out when the time comes

8 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Yeah dude, I have a canopy for ya. 

My ransom is one of your AD-5 sets!

I keeeeddd...I keeeed... 

PM me a mailing address.

Do you really? Holy cow! You can have whatever sets you want!

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

Do you really? Holy cow! You can have whatever sets you want!

I do! My dad built one some years back, and I ended up with his "spares box". It's in great shape...no yellowing.

On 6/5/2020 at 8:42 AM, Darren Roberts said:

I can attest to Darren's packing method.  It works!  Thanks Darren.  And thanks to Andy for coming to the rescue!  One of many reasons I love this forum.  K/r, Dutch