CD48189 - 1/48 USAF A-1 Skyraider in Vietnam

On 10/24/2020 at 2:05 AM, KursadA said:

It looks like the drawing of a beetle and "Die Maikafer" ("The Beetle" in German) written on it. 

To be precise, the German word Maikäfer means cockchafer, or maybug. The inscription "Die Maikäfer" could mean two things:

1. (in English) "death to the maybug"

2. (in German) "the maybugs" (note the plural, the singular would be "Der Maikäfer"

On 10/24/2020 at 5:52 PM, KursadA said:

Does anyone have photos of "Midnight Cowboy" and "Firebird" where the tail codes are visible? Any high resolution scans of the nose art from books would be very helpful, too. I looked everywhere online, but I am hoping there are some photos in a book somewhere.

Kursad, From what I understand, the painting of "Midnight Cowboy" by Mike Machat that I uploaded in the third post is almost spot on.  He spent several hours interviewing Richard Drury to make sure he got the markings just right.  Mike is like that!  K/r, Dutch

20 hours ago, TomTheCat said:

To be precise, the German word Maikäfer means cockchafer, or maybug. The inscription "Die Maikäfer" could mean two things:

1. (in English) "death to the maybug"

2. (in German) "the maybugs" (note the plural, the singular would be "Der Maikäfer"

....perhaps. Also note that Maikafer is suspiciously similar to an English expression that can not be mentioned in a family friendly forum such as this one. 

Edited by KursadA
18 hours ago, Dutch said:

Kursad, From what I understand, the painting of "Midnight Cowboy" by Mike Machat that I uploaded in the third post is almost spot on.  He spent several hours interviewing Richard Drury to make sure he got the markings just right.  Mike is like that!  K/r, Dutch

Hi Dutch - I am sure this is an accurate painting, but all I have are smaller images of the painting from the Web - not enough to figure out the details of the style of the letters on the nose. Anyway, there has been an interesting development on this front and I may soon get the information that I need to design a very nice 'Nam USAF Skyraider sheet.

And I no longer have his book: My Secret War.  There were b&w photos, but not large ones and I can't remember if there were close-ups of the nose art.  Anyway, I look forward to the sheet.

Edited by Dutch
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You guys occasionally ask me what my fastest-selling sheet is. As of yesterday, I think we have a new contender: 25% of the USAF A-1H/J sheet print run was sold in about 10 days of preorders by retail buyers like you guys - the spreadsheet tells me that this is the strongest launch I ever had. We'll see if it maintains the same pace over the next few months. 

USPS will pick up all remaining preorders today as I get ready for the next round of releases - remember, the Navy Spad sheet is scheduled for May. I think I will reprint the A-1E sheet to round out your Skyraider collection.

3 hours ago, KursadA said:

So - what's the verdict on this one? I thin many of you must have received your orders in the last couple of weeks or so.

Just got mine in the mail yesterday.   Another killer sheet Kursad.   I have a Tamiya kit half built that will get these decals. 

Mine just showed up today, and I am very happy!  The markings look fantastic and I too look forward to using them.  I also appreciate all the extra letters and numbers you added on the black Microscale sheet.  Leaves room for options!

Edited by Corey
15 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

Just got mine in the mail yesterday.   Another killer sheet Kursad.   I have a Tamiya kit half built that will get these decals. 

My big problem is going to be trying to figure out which version to build.... So many great choices.

• 1 month later...

I absolutely love this sheet and have dusted off the half built Tamiya Spad I have on the shelf but have a question I'd like to pose to Kursad.   I've been trying to find ways to replicate the tan outlined tail numbers like you have for 608 and the "TC" tail code.   I think I've only seen these done on TC coded Skyraiders but was wondering if it would be cost effective to possibly add these tan outlined numbers and codes as part of your Basics sheets in 1/48?

14 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

I absolutely love this sheet and have dusted off the half built Tamiya Spad I have on the shelf but have a question I'd like to pose to Kursad.   I've been trying to find ways to replicate the tan outlined tail numbers like you have for 608 and the "TC" tail code.   I think I've only seen these done on TC coded Skyraiders but was wondering if it would be cost effective to possibly add these tan outlined numbers and codes as part of your Basics sheets in 1/48?

I would be interested in this too!

• 4 months later...
On 3/29/2021 at 10:13 AM, KursadA said:

You guys occasionally ask me what my fastest-selling sheet is. As of yesterday, I think we have a new contender: 25% of the USAF A-1H/J sheet print run was sold in about 10 days of preorders by retail buyers like you guys - the spreadsheet tells me that this is the strongest launch I ever had. We'll see if it maintains the same pace over the next few months. 

USPS will pick up all remaining preorders today as I get ready for the next round of releases - remember, the Navy Spad sheet is scheduled for May. I think I will reprint the A-1E sheet to round out your Skyraider collection.

still considering a reprint of the A-1E sheet?