What is the best putty for soft edge camo painting?

Hello all

Please recommend a quality putty to use in soft edge camo painting. I have used putty bought from super market and it is tough and tear easily. I would like the type that is easy to use and does not leave annoying residue. Thanks Dai 

59 minutes ago, dai phan said:

Hello all

Please recommend a quality putty to use in soft edge camo painting. I have used putty bought from super market and it is tough and tear easily. I would like the type that is easy to use and does not leave annoying residue. Thanks Dai 

Are you talking about stuff like Blue Tac? The stuff used to tack pictures to walls?  I've been using a brand I found somewhere. It doesn't roll easily but I manage. Doesn't leave any residue. I'm sure others here have had success stories and recommend brands.

There are also the "silly putty" types. They are expensive if you buy the stuff marketed for model painting. You can buy the exact same stuff from Crazy Aaron's Putty world. You can get the same amount of black putty that Ammo and others sell for 1/3 the cost.

The problem I have had with these types of putties is that they tend to self-level or creep if left on the model for any length of time, even at very cool temperatures. In other words, it doesn't stay put. So, unless one does a small area with the putty, then sprays the paint, and then move to the next area, I can't see it working for me. I like to mask the entire model for the color I'm going to paint. Perhaps others have had success with this type.

I also tried Silly Putty brand putty, but it definitely left an oily residue on the model. The Crazy Aaron's and the the stuff sold by Ammo and some others does not leave any residue.

P.S. if interested in the Crazy Aaron's putty, I used the plain black putty. They make dozens of weird colors and what-not. Unfortunately, the regular size, 3.2oz black is unavailable according to their website. They have a mini size that is .47 oz that is available. I wanted the black because that was the color of the stuff sold by Ammo. I have both and I cannot tell the difference. What you might get with other colors I can't say.

Edited by Mstor
30 minutes ago, Mstor said:

There are also the "silly putty" types. They are expensive if you buy the stuff marketed for model painting. You can buy the exact same stuff from Crazy Aaron's Putty world. You can get the same amount of black putty that Ammo and others sell for 1/3 the cost.

Have you tried Crazy Aaron's putties? I did a couple of years ago and found they were too viscous and settled out way too quickly to be useful.

9 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Have you tried Crazy Aaron's putties? I did a couple of years ago and found they were too viscous and settled out way too quickly to be useful.

I found no difference in the stuff sold by Ammo and Aaron's plain black putty. Consistency and viscosity are the same as far as I can tell.

OK, I'll try again. I looked at my previous order, and none of them were identified as firm. Black was out, so I went with yellow and orange.

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

OK, I'll try again. I looked at my previous order, and none of them were identified as firm. Black was out, so I went with yellow and orange.

If you read my entire post, I did say that I found both the Ammo and Aaron's too viscous for my use. I just wanted to clarify that. As I said, I didn't find any difference between the two. Evidently, Aaron's black is one of the "firm" putties. Since Ammo and some other's sell the stuff, some people must find it useful. I could see using it on a very small model, where one could mask off large areas rapidly and then spray. It's just that when I would roll out thin tubes of it and try to use it like Blue Tac, it just would start to sag and flatten, and my basement work area is very cool.

I use the 3M poster tac and I find if you leave it too long it will be hard to pick all of it till you use a blob of it to pick the little pieces up.  As far as soft edges go it comes down to how small of a roll you use and what angle you spray at with your airbrush.  Generally the smaller the roll the more sharp the edges get.

On 6/4/2020 at 7:07 AM, dai phan said:

Hello all

AK works well for me

• 2 weeks later...