Need help with Space X falcon 9

Gang,

I've been scouring the internet for accurate dimensions of the Falcon 9 block 5 with crew dragon 2, but have not found anything that I can use.

I'd like to verify the length dimensions of the 1st stage, interstage, and second stage for a 1:144 scale model.  I have only been able to find the dimensions of the crew dragon with the trunk and the overal length of the whole rocket.

Can anyone point me to a website where this info is available. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ernie A.

Do you have any plans (or even good quality profile-view photos) of the full Falcon/Crew Dragon stack? If so you can use the dimensions you do have to scale the plan/photo and measure or deduce the dimensions you're missing.

I'm looking for Falcon 9 dimensions as well to create a 1/200 scale Falcon 9 Block 5 Crew Dragon model. I wish there would be some accurate scale drawings of it but I didn't find any. Sure, you could find some dimensions of the Falcon 9 but they vary from each other.

I took some research and will create my model based on this sources:

https://www.spacelaunchreport.com/falcon9ft.html

Vehicle Components

Falcon 9 Block 5 Stage 1 - Merlin 1D Fuller Thrust Version
Diameter (m): 3.66 m  Length (m): ~40.9 m (est) not incl I/S (not sure if this includes the Merlin Engine bells - I guess it does)

Falcon 9 Block 5 Stage 2 - Merlin 1D Fuller Thrust Version

Diameter (m): 3.66 m  Length (m): ~16.0 m incl I/S

https://www.spacex.com/media/falcon_users_guide_042020.pdf

I guess that's the closest yo can get regarding Falcon 9 dimensions. By the way, could you please tell me the source of the Crew Dragon 2 dimensions?

Regards

Daniel

Edited by Pilotace
20 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

Do you have any plans (or even good quality profile-view photos) of the full Falcon/Crew Dragon stack? If so you can use the dimensions you do have to scale the plan/photo and measure or deduce the dimensions you're missing.

Hi,

Could not find any drawings reflecting the latest changes to the block 5.  I did find what I thought was a good picture that I could use to extrapolate the length of the stages given the known total length and length of the crew dragon + trunk.  However, when I calculated the lengths in 1:144 scale, using the total length (230 ft.) I get a total length of 19.2 in.; and when using the crew dragon + trunk length (27 ft.), I get a total length of 18.4 in., a discrepancy of .75 in. short.  So I suspect the picture I'm using may not actually be the final block 5 with the dragon 2 variant, or I'm missing something else.

Really I am not looking to be exact, but I'd like it to be "close enough for government work" .

the next thing to try is to scale the drawing, and just go with whatever the dimensions I get... that should get me close enough.

thanks for the help.

Ernie A.

Thanks Aussie-Pete.

Yea, finding out the same.

I just figured that there would be some accurate info out there since I see a bunch of people selling 3d printed versions of the this rocket... either they got some accurate info somewhere, or they're just close enough as well.

Ernie A.

18 hours ago, Pilotace said:

I'm looking for Falcon 9 dimensions as well to create a 1/200 scale Falcon 9 Block 5 Crew Dragon model. I wish there would be some accurate scale drawings of it but I didn't find any. Sure, you could find some dimensions of the Falcon 9 but they vary from each other.

I took some research and will create my model based on this sources:

https://www.spacelaunchreport.com/falcon9ft.html

Vehicle Components

Falcon 9 Block 5 Stage 1 - Merlin 1D Fuller Thrust Version
Diameter (m): 3.66 m  Length (m): ~40.9 m (est) not incl I/S (not sure if this includes the Merlin Engine bells - I guess it does)

Falcon 9 Block 5 Stage 2 - Merlin 1D Fuller Thrust Version

Diameter (m): 3.66 m  Length (m): ~16.0 m incl I/S

https://www.spacex.com/media/falcon_users_guide_042020.pdf

I guess that's the closest yo can get regarding Falcon 9 dimensions. By the way, could you please tell me the source of the Crew Dragon 2 dimensions?

Regards

Daniel

Thanks Daniel.

I too came across these resources, but did not quite understood them.  thanks or summarizing.

according to space x website, the length of the crew dragon 2 + trunk is 27 ft.  with a diameter of 13 ft., and the whole rocket stack is 230 ft. (70M).

Ernie A.

On 6/7/2020 at 2:33 AM, modelmax said:

Hi,

Could not find any drawings reflecting the latest changes to the block 5.  I did find what I thought was a good picture that I could use to extrapolate the length of the stages given the known total length and length of the crew dragon + trunk.  However, when I calculated the lengths in 1:144 scale, using the total length (230 ft.) I get a total length of 19.2 in.; and when using the crew dragon + trunk length (27 ft.), I get a total length of 18.4 in., a discrepancy of .75 in. short.  So I suspect the picture I'm using may not actually be the final block 5 with the dragon 2 variant, or I'm missing something else.

Really I am not looking to be exact, but I'd like it to be "close enough for government work" .

the next thing to try is to scale the drawing, and just go with whatever the dimensions I get... that should get me close enough.

thanks for the help.

Ernie A.

I am annoyed at the figures they provide. The Dragon always seems to include the Trunk so we have to estimate the Dragon capsule height. Base diameter is the only actual dimension they provide.
Using Fusion360 you can put an image into the base and scale it to the height you wish then use that to get lengths. This is how I did it to get this far

Still the capsule is doing my head in how to draw that

Capture.JPG

• 1 month later...