KC-10 Original Scheme Shields

Does anyone know what the shield aft of the SAC Milky Way band is on this Barksdale KC-10?

83-0075

I know the forward shield is the 2nd Bomb Wing one.  I am pretty sure the aft one is the 434th ARW one, but I can't find any closer shots to confirm.

In addition to the 2nd BW, 22nd ARW, 68th ARW, and 452nd ARW, are there any other unit shields that were worn by KC-10s on the right side of the fuselage in the delivery white over gray scheme?  (not counting the AMC ones that were worn on the nose after SAC went away)

Thanks in advance for any help!

That doesn't look like any SAC shield I've ever seen.

On 6/5/2020 at 5:07 PM, 757flyer said:

I am pretty sure the aft one is the 434th ARW one

When did the 434th fly the KC-10? As far as I know, in the "modern era" of the Air Force (1970s up), the 434th has been a Reserve wing at Grissom AFB/ARB in Indiana, flying A-10s and KC-135s.

Thanks for the replies.  The SAC shield was worn on the left side of the fuselage.  I’ve never seen one on the right side (I’m happy to learn otherwise)

From what I have found, the 434th was redesignated as a Heavy Air Refueling Wing in 1987, and is credited with KC-10 ops from 1987 to 1994.  

https://flightlineinsignia.com/product/434th-air-refueling-wing-black/

To the best of my knowledge, KC-10s were never actually assigned to Grissom.  Perhaps 434th personnel rotated to Barksdale as an associate unit with the 2nd BW?  I have found other mentions of the 434th being associated with the KC-10, and their own history page lists the KC-10 among their aircraft lineage:

https://www.grissom.afrc.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/174557/434th-air-refueling-wing/

Not that it is in any way conclusive evidence, but the Hasegawa 1/200 Nose Art KC-10 release includes a 434th shield for the right side.  

I just want to make sure that at least that one KC-10 did indeed wear a 434th shield and was hoping someone might have direct knowledge.

Thanks

14 hours ago, 757flyer said:

Thanks for the replies.  The SAC shield was worn on the left side of the fuselage.  I’ve never seen one on the right side (I’m happy to learn otherwise)

From what I have found, the 434th was redesignated as a Heavy Air Refueling Wing in 1987, and is credited with KC-10 ops from 1987 to 1994.  

https://flightlineinsignia.com/product/434th-air-refueling-wing-black/

To the best of my knowledge, KC-10s were never actually assigned to Grissom.  Perhaps 434th personnel rotated to Barksdale as an associate unit with the 2nd BW?  I have found other mentions of the 434th being associated with the KC-10, and their own history page lists the KC-10 among their aircraft lineage:

https://www.grissom.afrc.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/174557/434th-air-refueling-wing/

Not that it is in any way conclusive evidence, but the Hasegawa 1/200 Nose Art KC-10 release includes a 434th shield for the right side.  

I just want to make sure that at least that one KC-10 did indeed wear a 434th shield and was hoping someone might have direct knowledge.

Thanks

A wing may have had geographically separated groups, so the ARW at Grissom could have had a ARG at Barksdale.  That ended in the 90's when McPeek was the CSAF.

(added) Found it, 98th ARG (Barksdale AFB)  was part of the 434 ARW.

Edited by Da SWO
Added more info

I think they may have been connected to the 434th for administrative purposes. I was flying -135s on the active duty side (70th ARS/305th ARW) at Grissom through 1988, and never heard the Reserve guys talk about KC-10s. I know they were never based at Grissom.

5 hours ago, Da SWO said:

(added) Found it, 98th ARG (Barksdale AFB)  was part of the 434 ARW.

Da SWO, many thanks for that info.  I did find some more photos (none very close unfortunately), but it definitely appears to be the 434th shield - the older one with the white globe in the lower portion, and the solid yellow circle in the upper right, as in the attached image, which was a carry-over from the TFW days.

434arw.gif

If I might ask another question, does anyone know what the red bar in the center of some of the clouds signifies in these mission markings from Desert Storm?  Combat mission refuelings vs. non-combat ones?

Thanks!

791950 MissionMarkings.jpg

• 1 year later...

Mike, for what it's worth, the Superbase #21 Barksdale book (Davies, 1991) has a close-up of a Shamu KC-10A with the subdued 434 ARW shield clearly visible next to the 2 BW shield.  It's the same version you posted above.

Furthermore, USAF Unit Designations Since 1978 (Rogers, 2005) describes the 78 AREFS as an associate KC-10 squadron at Barksdale from 1981 to 1994; first with the 452 ARW (81-87), then the 98 ARG/434 ARW (87-92), and finally 98 OG/452 ARW (92-94).

Chris