2020 IPMS Nats at San Marcos, TX

Who all is planning to go?? I haven't been to a Nationals in awhile and this one is pretty close.  Just hope there isn't a upswing in CV-19 cases that would cause it to be cancelled.

CU Thar???

Bo

boP8Pr.jpg

San Marcos!?  Thats less than a 4 hour drive from my house in Dallas...  And I'm stuck here in the sandbox with some major travel restrictions...  This is turning out to be a real crappy week...  

Just going to add a pic of salt into the wound, that's my birthday weekend...  Keeping my fingers crossed that Telford goes on as planned, and the travel restrictions are gone by then so I can make that show for the first time ever.

Edited by IshyIsh
3 hours ago, IshyIsh said:

Just going to add a pic of salt into the wound, that's my birthday weekend...  Keeping my fingers crossed that Telford goes on as planned, and the travel restrictions are gone by then so I can make that show for the first time ever.

At the moment we have until the end of August before we'll be making a final decision on whether or not to run the Telford show - that's the point where we need to commit the major part of the payment for the venue.

What the situation will be with flights, public transport and social distancing in November remains to be seen - and that more than anything may determine whether or not we can run a viable event.

Regards,

John

7 hours ago, IshyIsh said:

boP8Pr.jpg

San Marcos!?  Thats less than a 4 hour drive from my house in Dallas...  And I'm stuck here in the sandbox with some major travel restrictions...  This is turning out to be a real crappy week...  

I  feel your pain and then some.  I'm in Fort Worth and stand zero chance of going.  Worse, I was hoping to have a table for my CD-ROMs and ebooks.  Beyond that, I was hoping to do a seminar on how to make your own decals.  And if that ain't bad enough, I stand no chance of ever making another Nats due to distance and finances before I show up at that model bench in the sky.  Aaarrghhh and double arrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Okay clue me in what are the travel restrictions for you guy's in Texas I thought it was open,  if you can't do a four hour drive in Texas I don't see Telford in November for you

Ken 

To be honest, I think travel restrictions in the US, especially in a place like Texas, are going to be gone by the time of the Nats.  The reality is that, once restrictions are loosened, they likely aren’t going to be reimposed (simply because most of the public will no longer stand for it), unless there is a strong localized cluster, and even then nothing is likely to happen outside of that specific area.  Some social distancing stuff, extra cleaning, and mask wearing is likely going to be around for a bit, but I think the days of general lockdown are over, and we’re just going to live with it until a vaccine is found.

Travel restrictions may be limited but the maximum size for group gatherings may not be.  I don't have any specific info on the IPMS Nats, I doubt any of us will until closer to the event date.

KenM, et al,

Why can't I make it?

1.  Nothing to take for the contest and no time to build anything.

2.  Finances (fees, hotel, food, dog boarding, etc)

3.  High risk for Covid-19 if it reoccurs (lungs, heart, age)

4.  Aftermath of auto accident on May 20

5.  Need I say more?

The Embassy Suite Hotel is all sold out, soooo, someone is planning to go.  I just now Pre-Registered and will find other another place to lay my little punkin' head.  Probably won't stay for the full duration of the convention.  Just long enuff to drain my pocket book in the Vendor Rooms and get inspired looking at everyone's beautiful builds!!

C all y'all there!!

Bo

20 hours ago, gkwan said:

Sprue Brothers will be there. 

What COVID?  Thought it was gone since the media stopped talking about it.

AKA 'Scamdemic'!! 1 to two weeks we'll know. Either there will be a Boat Load of sick and dying demonstrators, or we've been had by WHO and CDC, or both!!  I pick the later!!

Bo

1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Watching the news....doesn't look like anyone is staying home, or "social distancing".

Well in 1/48 you only need 1.5" for social distancing ....  :cop:

3 hours ago, IPMSUSA2 said:

KenM, et al,

Why can't I make it?

1.  Nothing to take for the contest and no time to build anything.

2.  Finances (fees, hotel, food, dog boarding, etc)

3.  High risk for Covid-19 if it reoccurs (lungs, heart, age)

4.  Aftermath of auto accident on May 20

5.  Need I say more?

Sorry to hear that, hope things get better I know where you're coming from I have some of the same issues, and I thought 2019 sucked. I was just curious because Ishylsh posted that he was in Dallas  and there were travel restrictions and was hoping for Telford I'm sure in state travel will be easier way before international.

Ken

3 hours ago, jabow said:

The Embassy Suite Hotel is all sold out, soooo, someone is planning to go.

The convention hotel usually sells out months in advance, and I'm sure most of the guys who booked rooms are waiting to see what happens before they cancel. If the convention goes off as scheduled, I wouldn't be surprised to see a much lower turnout.

10 hours ago, KenM said:

Sorry to hear that, hope things get better I know where you're coming from I have some of the same issues, and I thought 2019 sucked. I was just curious because Ishylsh posted that he was in Dallas  and there were travel restrictions and was hoping for Telford I'm sure in state travel will be easier way before international.

Ken

Ish mentioned that his home is in Dallas but that he is currently out in the sandbox - therefore he would require international flights to get home and attend the convention and hence his comment about travel restrictions.

4 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

Ish mentioned that his home is in Dallas but that he is currently out in the sandbox - therefore he would require international flights to get home and attend the convention and hence his comment about travel restrictions.

Sorry missed that

Ken