Worn bare metal finish--how would you do this?? (F-89)

I use Alclad and I know how to do a pure, shiny bare metal finish, but in this case it's a well-worn ANG bird from the late 50's/early 60's (pic below).  What are some approaches to this?  

I've thought of:

-Alclad over a FLAT base coat instead of gloss (flat black instead of gloss black)

-Testors metalizer sealer over the shiny Alclad, but I don't know if that would just make it look like I've sprayed dullcote over it and ruin the finish.

What do you think?

0L9UWBu.jpg

Maybe tamiya weathering powders or metallic pigments to give a patchy/uneven weathered finish.  Or perhaps spraying super thinned smoke or similar shades and a little flat coat.  I use ammo paints so my approach may be different.  In fact, the first idea I had was the new line of 'shaders' by Ammo, I think this is exactly the type of thing they are designed for.  

I actually use Alclad Aluminum 101. It is far less

lustrous than the other aluminum shades in the line. Especially over the gray primer. They also have Dull Aluminum and I suspect some custom blending would get you where you want to be. Still need to vary different panels in my opinion to keep the overall look from resembling aluminized lacquer.  

Rick L. 

Two thoughts.

1. Use slightly darker shades of Alclad, like Duraluminum and Dark Aluminum, and/or mix in small amounts of Steel for other darker shades.

2. Use a panel wash of Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color (Black). Lay it on fairly heavy, then use a Q-tip dipped in mineral spirits to bring it down. If you do it right, you can leave a thin patina of black over the whole surface, and you can vary it from panel to panel by wiping off more or less.

Here's what I did with my Tamiya 1/48 P-47D.  Painted it with Vallejo Metal Color "Aluminum".  After decals were applied, I sprayed the whole thing with Semi Gloss.  This keeps the shine down but doesn't eliminate it.

Then, I used a normal graphite pencil in the panel lines, which I then scrubbed with a stiff brush.  This works some of the graphite into the surrounding paint to change the tone without really changing the color.  It just dulls it a bit. 

I also used some Tamiya weathering kits and some dark grey wash in very select, and only a few, places.

EZ8m75UFqJmi-TGp9ROVLsiBumPDzt1TRbj7ex4b

b7lfgaRuMjp6jQ-lpunLe4vRN8VU1ULmki_mphJp

Mike

Best thin I've found is to overcoat various panel shades of Alclad II with one of Alclad II's own clear overcoats, flat, matte, semi-matte, light sheen, etc.  If you have multiple panels and want to sort of blend them altogether and tone them down, I use a 5% mix of Alclad II Aluminum and 95% Alclad thinner.  You can pretty much get whatever degree of shine (or no shine that you like. Here's a couple of mine using those techniques:

2v29WhzmixfzdhW.jpg

2v2EPNat3xfzdhW.jpg

Ed