Primer color USN/USMC aircraft 1960s

Does anyone have information on the color of the primer used on Navy and Marine aircraft in the 60s?  I know the gull Gray and white used was very durable but photos seem to indicate that drop tanks and underwing weapons racks that were subject constant handling were more susceptible to wear and tear.  It appears to be a light yellow green perhaps, possibly run of the mill “zinc chromate primer”  or whatever it’s official designation is.  Thanks for any assistance.

BW

7 hours ago, BuNo02100 said:

Does anyone have information on the color of the primer used on Navy and Marine aircraft in the 60s?  I know the gull Gray and white used was very durable but photos seem to indicate that drop tanks and underwing weapons racks that were subject constant handling were more susceptible to wear and tear.  It appears to be a light yellow green perhaps, possibly run of the mill “zinc chromate primer”  or whatever it’s official designation is.  Thanks for any assistance.

BW

For aircraft it would depend on manufacture since most manufactures had their own primer. For out in the fleet, I would believe it would be the standard zinc chromate, that's what we were using back in the mid 80's and we were still doing business like it was the early 70's.

If you see a brown coating on the aircraft and gear, that is not primer, that is Amlgard, a corrosion preventive compound that the maintenance crews would "smear" on certain area's of the aircraft and on the gear. I had a good friend who did time in Phantoms (USN) back in Vietnam, he said they would smear that stuff all over the gear bays to help keep the corrosion down. I've also seen pics of it being applied to the gun port area's on F-8's so when the guns were fired it would be easier to clean the area when the jet came back. The Amlgard used would be a translucent FS 30117 and had a gummy/rubbery texture, we use to compare it to baby crap, the more you tried to wipe it off the more you just smeared it.

hth

GW