Matching preprinted photoetch colors

Hi all, 

I am currently working on my 1/48 Eduard Fw190D-9 late airplane, and I’ve run into an issue.  This kit is a Profipak, which I’m sure most of you know typically includes pre-printed photo etch panels for the cockpit.  This one does as well.  Now, I have all of the paint colors called out in the instructions, however, comparing the painted photo etch colors to the paints called out, there is a significant mismatch.  I’m sure I can mix up a custom color that will match the panel colors of the prepainted parts, but my question to all of you is whether you think that’s a good idea or not. Frankly, while I’m sure it’s not technically accurate, the contrast between the prepainted panels and the paint colors called out in the instructions would probably look nice.  However, what’s your opinion on what to do in this case?  Not use the prepainted panels, which would be a shame because they look so good. Mix a color to match the cockpit to the prepainted panels?  Or just go with the contrasting colors?   Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this, especially since this question will certainly apply to many more models than just this one. 

Edited by Curt B

I try to match the colors of the pre-printed part, which can lead to some weird paint choices. I have the Eduard's set for the A-4 Skyhawk, and it wasn't even close to the correct FS36231. It is instead a dead match to RLM 76.

Eduard's notorious reputation for wild mismatches of cockpit colors is one of the reasons I am so looking forward to Quinta's 3D printed decals. So far, they seem to be getting the colors pretty darn close. Here's a pic of their new set for the 1/48 Kinetic F-16D

s-l1600.jpg

Looks much closer to 36231 than anything I've seen in an Eduard set. Now if the Russian postal service would just start allowing airmail shipments to the US again.  I've been waiting for the 1/48 set for the GWH Mig-29 set I ordered back in April.

In the meantime, to answer your question. I too would try to match the Eduard color,  just so it would have the weird mismatch.

Another solution is Dream Models PE cockpit sets, which usually have colors closer to the real thing. Limited selection and sometimes questionable accuracy, especially with the side panels.  Another choice is Beaver PE sets out of Japan. Very limited selection but they too match the cockpits colors better and have good accuracy.

Edited by Mstor
14 hours ago, Helmsman said:

The thing with Quinta decals is that they probably can be easy pained with right color without over-painting raised details.

True, but unnecessary if they are already the right color :thumbsup:

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions.  I've decided that inside the cockpit, I'm going to mix colors to match the Eduard panels.  Everywhere else on the plane that uses the specific color, I'm going to use the color called out in the instructions.

10 hours ago, Mstor said:

True, but unnecessary if they are already the right color :thumbsup:

As they look on pictures, some painting might be needed. I have few sets on order so will see when they arrive.