Decal advice for F-4J & F-4B

Hello all,

I'm looking for decals for the above mentioned in the tittle F-4B's, F-4J's and F-4N's.

Her is a short list of what I'm looking for:

1. Coral Sea CVA-43_F-4B_VF-111 Sundowners, others than the Academy kit 12232 provide. so we speak of after market / alternatives.

2. Coral Sea CVA-43_F-4B_VF-51_Screaming Eagles, which I like it very much as replacement for the Sundowners livery, did not find it so far.

3. Coral Sea CVA-43_F-4J_VF-194 Red Lightnings, for the Academy kit 12305

4. Coral Sea CVA-43_F-4N_VFMA-531_Grey Ghosts, which I like very, very much for an upcoming build, I guess i need to some conversions for this one, as i will use an Academy kit for it.

Anyone have some good information on these specific F-4's operating from the Coral Sea, I would be glad to hear from you experts

Hope you all understand my request.

Focus is only F-4's flying from the CVA-43 Coral Sea, end of the Sixties and first half of the Seventies up to 1976.

Thanks in advance,

Robert Jan  

Assuming 1/48...

VF-111: not sure why you don't want to use the Academy decals, they're actually quite good. I'm not sure who else does this squadron except for maybe an ancient Microscale sheet.

VF-51: Look at Furball's "Bravo MiG Killers" sheet.

VF-194: Again, Furball if you want the Ferris scheme. Incidentally, CAM does a VF-191 F-4J sheet.

VMFA-531: Again, Academy does this and their decals are printed by Cartograf and are quite good.

VF-111: not sure why you don't want to use the Academy decals, they're actually quite good. I'm not sure who else does this squadron except for maybe an ancient Microscale sheet. The stripes I some on tail are only seen on the rudder, that's what I'm after for the VF-111. Academy has them covering the whole tail.

Thanks for responding.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

8 minutes ago, Gonzales said:

VF-111: not sure why you don't want to use the Academy decals, they're actually quite good. I'm not sure who else does this squadron except for maybe an ancient Microscale sheet. The stripes I some on tail are only seen on the rudder, that's what I'm after for the VF-111. Academy has them covering the whole tail.

Thanks for responding.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

You could mask and paint the rudder markings easily enough and grab tail code decals from a Tomcat sheet like FCM or Furball, then use the kit decals for the remainder of the squadron markings and stencils. You'd just need to splice BuNos and MODEX #s

This is the one I want:

https://www.usscoralsea.net/images/web_cva43VF-111F-4NDS.jpg

Another shot in B&W:

https://www.usscoralsea.net/images/web_cva431973VF111F-4Btrap.jpg

And in color, my favorite for this livery:

https://www.usscoralsea.net/images/web_cva43VF-111c1973.jpg

I use the links that go to the tribute site for the USS Coral Sea. Avoid the copy rights issue.

Thanks for your help again.

Robert Jan

That's a cool scheme that isn't often portrayed. Like I said about, it shouldn't be too difficult to replicate with a mix of Academy kit decals and tail letters/MODEX #s, etc from another sheet. You could even mask off and paint the NL tail letters with a little bit of patience.