Trumpeter/Hobby Boss 48th CH-47A Chinook

It's in their catalog as 'New', yet it's not being listed or discussed by anyone???  The early version was the standard for Vietnam until the Charlie Model came along.  The C Model made the CH-54 Skycrane obsolete.  Anyway, I'll like to see an early Chinook.

Bo

5 hours ago, jabow said:

It's in their catalog as 'New', yet it's not being listed or discussed by anyone???  The early version was the standard for Vietnam until the Charlie Model came along.  The C Model made the CH-54 Skycrane obsolete.  Anyway, I'll like to see an early Chinook.

Bo

Bo,

My outfit used them daily during late 67 thru all of 68. Sometime in the early fall or late summer they came up with a new Chinook. No numbers or anything, and was simply called a heavy lift Chinook. I'm guessing that was the "C" model. The earlier one was restricted to 12,000lb. if the weather was right. How and when I can't remember that far back. I remember quite well having to rig two loads because of the weight issue, then all of a sudden it was one load! Where you really saw the advantage was when delivering ammo. One load would completely fill an M54 truck (also grossly over loaded). Where before the same truck would take two loads. I only saw Skycranes twice in I-Corp, but others were higher on the food chain I guess. We did move an entire three gun battery once with Jolley Green Giants, and I told the first shirt "never again!" The down blast seemed twice as bad as a Chinook!

gary

4 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

Bo,

My outfit used them daily during late 67 thru all of 68. Sometime in the early fall or late summer they came up with a new Chinook. No numbers or anything, and was simply called a heavy lift Chinook. I'm guessing that was the "C" model.

100% correct, it was the introduction of the C model in 1967.

30 minutes ago, IshyIsh said:

100% correct, it was the introduction of the C model in 1967.

it's kinda funny, but like I said "I-Corp" was at the bottom of the food chain. Yet it was by far the hottest area in country. It took a year to see a heavy lift chopper, and that's really sad as we had no real road after 25 klicks inland. So everything that happened was by air in one form or another, or else by walking. 

gary