Best Glue for Resin & Metal?

Hey gang,

Got my hands on my first aftermarket conversion/detail kits for a build I'm working on, but I'm wondering what glues are best to:

Glue resin to plastic?

Glue metal to plastic?

Pretty sure my liquid cement will only get me so far :P 

Thanks for your guidance in advance!!

Plastic glues are indeed useless. 

CA, epoxy, and acrylic glues are all usable.

I use epoxy for resin-resin bonds.

CA and epoxy for most resin-plastic and metal-plastic bonds.

I prefer acrylic glues, like Gator Grip and Formula 560 Canopy Glue for surface to surface metal-plastic bonds. The reason is to avoid bond failure due to the different thermal expansion rates of metals and plastic. CA glue is weakest in shear strength, with the result that surface to surface joints are more likely to fail because of thermally induced stresses. Acrylic glues, on the other hand, remain flexible and can absorb those stresses.

A member of IPMSOC also likes to use acrylic glues for items like antennas that are likely to be bumped. The acrylic glue easily absorbs such deflections without failing. A CA glue joint will snap when bumped. 

Edited by dnl42
goofy phone autocorrect

I agree with dnl42, and highly recommend the Gator Grip glue. Since first finding this stuff, it’s all I use to glue clear parts (e.g., canopies) in place, which is plastic to plastic, but also to bond plastic to metal (photo etch) or plastic to resin.  You might think when you get it that this glue is just white glue (like Elmer’s) but it’s not. It does not fog clear plastic, like CA can, and dries clear.  Great stuff!

Edited by Curt B