Problem removing Tamiya panel line was

I'm currently building a 1/48 Tamiya F-16 and first primed the ejection seat with Mr Surfacer black, then painted with Mr Color paint then after detail painting with Tamiya paints I put on a clear coat of Tamiya X-22 thinned with Mr color leveling thinner. I put on a few decals then another coat of clear. After I left it for a few days, I put on some Tamiya panel line wash. I left this on overnight and then went to remove it with Mr color thinner  with a cotton bud. I wiped most of the thinner off on a paper towel. When I started wiping away the panel liner, it started taking off everything down to the plastic in one area. What did I do wrong? Am I using the wrong thinner to remove it or did I leave then panel line wash on too long?

Hi RedCrown,

I do exactly the same procedure as you, except I use enamel thinner to remove the excess wash. In my case, I've never had a problem.

I think you are using the wrong thinner. You need to use a thinner that won't affect the paint. I've also had good results using White Spirits.

Hope this helps.

Tato

6 minutes ago, Tato said:

Hi RedCrown,

I do exactly the same procedure as you, except I use enamel thinner to remove the excess wash. In my case, I've never had a problem.

I think you are using the wrong thinner. You need to use a thinner that won't affect the paint. I've also had good results using White Spirits.

Hope this helps.

Tato

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that.

• 2 weeks later...