What was your quarantine destination?

Walt's just opened up about 2 weeks ago!!  Bruce and Mike L both said they are VERY busy...crazy busy!!  Super happy for them.

I've got plenty of stuff to keep me busy, so didn't have to order anything. If I did It would be Sprue Brothers.

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary

My go-to has been Scalehobbyist whenever they have what I'm looking for.  Not the best in terms of shipping speed, but their prices are generally as good or better than most on-line shops.  Besides them, I go wherever a shop has the things I need.  That hasn't changed, for me, during the COVID19 crisis,

Right before the lockdown, I hit the very awesome Spare Time Shop in Marlboro, MA.   Bought a great deal of supplies, etc.    Now that MA has reopened (a bit), I'll be heading back there soon.  I try to do all I can to support local business before opting for the mail order giants.  

I was fairly well stocked, so only went to Sprue, Ebay, and RPD for very specific things

I also made sure I bought multiple kits from each of the two nearby LHS last weekend. Not that I needed the kits, but I wanted to do my part to keep their doors open.

15 hours ago, Chriss7607 said:

I'm supposed to be in Pensacola but the Naval Aviation Museum is still closed with no news on when they'll reopen. When they do I'll be down there and be sure to stop in and see John Struck at John's Models.

I use to live like 5 minutes from John's...boy do I miss having a great shop like that in my backyard! If I needed something on an idle Tuesday night;  "John, I need a bottle of XYX" , OK, meet me out back in about 10 minutes. Great club meetings too.

Then "Bobe's" was10 minutes in the other direction...now all I got is a damn "Hobby Lobby" or a "Michael's" ...I feel like Henry Hill at the end of "Goodfellas" 😩

6 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

I use to live like 5 minutes from John's...boy do I miss having a great shop like that in my backyard! If I needed something on an idle Tuesday night;  "John, I need a bottle of XYX" , OK, meet me out back in about 10 minutes. Great club meetings too.

Then "Bobe's" was10 minutes in the other direction...now all I got is a damn "Hobby Lobby" or a "Michael's" ...I feel like Henry Hill at the end of "Goodfellas" 😩

I miss Bobe's. That was another great place to go. I was glad to get down to John's back in February before everything went down. I went to SoonerCon today and the word was that the museum will be re-opening in July, so we'll see. As soon as they do, I'm going to go down.

I can also relate. All of the actual hobby shops around here are long gone. It's only Hobby Lobby or Michael's (for what little they have left). My usual go-to is Sprue Brothers so that's one thing that didn't change during the quarantine.

If I head up to the St Louis area anytime soon, I'll drop by Mark Twain Hobbies. We've had a Hobby Lobby near us for about 3 years now so its handy for certain supplies, etc ...

-Gregg

On 6/12/2020 at 8:37 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Now that things are opening up again, I'm curious what your go-to hobby shop was when everything was closed down and you were stuck at home?

mine was in the process of shutting down anyway, so they just sped up the process. yet there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel, as I hear rumors of a new shop opening up in my area. Hope it's true as I hate the thirty mile drive each way thru nasty traffic. 

I lost a fishing trip that was planned for 24 months, and I think my deposit went south as well ($$$!). Oh well, Montana is suddenly looking bright in October

gary

9 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

If I head up to the St Louis area anytime soon, I'll drop by Mark Twain Hobbies. We've had a Hobby Lobby near us for about 3 years now so its handy for certain supplies, etc ...

-Gregg

I have one about ten minutes north of me that I hit from time to time, but I discovered I have a new one about fifteen minutes south that looks twice as big on the outside!

gary

While everything was shut down I just dug into the stash I have in my basement. I anticipated the shut down and bought a couple bottles of Tamiya extra thin cement from my LHS while I could. I’m considered an essential worker, so not much of a dent in the stash. 

The only "local" LHS we have is the Hobby Lobby & Michael's in Destin.

I have been buying most of my supplies online at Hobbylinc & Scale Hobbyist, plus a few on Ebay.

I miss going to Bobe's, even though it was an hour drive each way.

After a really bad experience a few years ago at John's in Cantonment, I refuse to ever patronize his establishment.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

For model kits, I bought a few from some Facebook sites that deal with the sales and auctions of kits.  For me, kits are like cars.  The newer ones are boring while the older ones are pure works of art with more beauty and character.  Buying them off of Facebook allows me to get them for pennies on the dollar.

Once the local businesses started to open back up, I hit my local Hobby Town to restock my supplies.  Thank goodness I didn't really need any hobby tools and supplies during the the quarantine.  As much as possible, I wanted to patronize my local shop for things that are readily available.

Eric

• 1 month later...

Made my first trip in months to ModelCave in Ypsilanti last week.  They're still only doing phone-in orders with curbside pickup, but we needed to get out of the house.

SN