T-28A Cowl Opening Diameter

I'd like to build an early USAF T-28A with two bladed prop and have the very dated (read old) Monogram 1/48 T-28A.  I know the A had a smaller engine and a more streamlined cowling but the cowl that comes with the Monogram A has the same diameter opening as the B and D version kits.  Only difference is in the lower intake that is flush with the front of the cowl.   I'd like to see if I can modify the cowl to look more like the prototypical A version.  Does anyone know what the diameter of the cowl opening was for the A version?   A search of the interweb came up with negative results.

Don

There is a guy at our local field with a NMF USAF marked "A".

If he has it out this weekend I'll try to get it for you.

A long shot...but you never know.

8 hours ago, JohnEB said:

There is a guy at our local field with a NMF USAF marked "A".

If he has it out this weekend I'll try to get it for you.

A long shot...but you never know.

That would be awesome if you could John.   Here's hoping he has it out this weekend.   Don

Don, I admire you for wanted to do an A model, especially with the Monogram kit!. That's been on my to-do list for some time.

The main issue with the Monogram kit is that they used their B model kit and only changed the cowling (and prop, which is terrible). The engines in the A (Wright R-1300) and the B/C/D (Wright R-1820) are exactly the same diameter. The R-1300 is basically a 7 cylinder R-1820. On the actual aircraft, the A model forward fuselage starts to narrow towards the nose (top, bottom, and sides) at the panel line in front of the windscreen. On the B and later models, the top slope is less, and the bottom and sides are pretty much straight to until the curve of the cowling lip.

I haven't been able to locate any decent drawings of the A model so I'm working off photos. 

The Roden kit is a much better starting point than the Monogram/Revell kit. It's 1/48 and the fuselage is not slab sided.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can provide other data for you.

Mig