Hello friends,
Recently I sold my Jeep. I never thought it would be so painful!
I have owned this vehicle for 35 years, more than half of my life !!
Now every time I enter the garage and see the empty space I have a pinch in my heart .......

qG5QsDB.jpg

0wiw8co.jpg

KenAI4m.jpg

Ded1X77.jpg

5BYUuGS.jpg

I've owned nothing but Jeeps since 1994. Two Grands and two XJ's. My pride and joy is my 96  XJ Country in excellent condition. However I have always wanted a MB or GPW. Unfortunately ones in decent shape are way out of my ability to purchase. I'm sure you got a good price for it. I understand your pain.

Sorry to see it go. That’s a really good looking piece of history. I trust it has a good home with all the love that you gave it. 

I had had a difficult moment couple weeks ago when I had a chance at buying an unrestored 1941 Cletrac M2 airfield tractor. Didn’t have the money or a way to move it. Hate having to pass up history. I hope somebody got it that cares, same as your Jeep. 

Rick L. 

Sorry to hear of your pain. I know what you're going through.

When I lived in Texas in 1998-2005, my daily driver (in lieu of my new Mercedes) was a 1977 CJ-5 that I bought off a B-1 pilot and was restored for me by a retired MAtt C-130 load master who was the best old Jeep guy in West Texas.

I loved that Jeep...

I'm now in the market for a nice M38A1.

I feel your pain. My 1980 CJ-5 is sitting idle in a barn at a buddy's house and he's itching to get the title. When life moves on and you get a nagging wife and a family, $hit changes. 

2642690907_ca6ee596e7_w.jpg

Edited by skidbuggy
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:44 PM, SBARC said:

That is a beauty...what year is it?  Did you ever take it to any of the WW2 anniversary events?

Hello Steve,
My Jeep spent a few years in the French army. In 1962 it was completely refurbished and received a new identity, new documents, new frame number. Impossible to know the history of the vehicle before this date.
Yes, I participated in historical events like WW2
During one of these events, a town very close to my home had invited Mr. Bill Millin, the piper of D Day. Mr. Millin walked in front of the convoy of vehicles playing the bagpipes. It was incredible. After the official ceremony I found Mr Millin relaxing at a table with a cold drink. I was a very young Jeep driver and this real hero intimidated me a lot. But I said to myself it's now or never. I greeted him, he stood up and we started a long conversation about the war, the Jeep, my work, life etc ... Despite my poor English, Mr Millin made the effort to understand me and to communicate with me. I will never forget this conversation

0L5nB0p.jpg

fs5f2PC.jpg

9KSpi9B.jpg

NwOmw2A.jpg

This scout car belonged to a friend. I loved the look of the vehicle but not driving it. Heavy steering, huge turning radius, very poor visibility in town, I was afraid of crushing someone without even noticing. Oh, and the machine gun rail was very low and very hard. At first, every time I got on board I hit my head. It took me several bumps to "catch the thing" but at least my friends had a good laugh!

Eeo2XNo.jpg

My Jeep is hidden somewhere in the middle of this group

4Sfsogn.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 1:36 AM, skidbuggy said:

I feel your pain. My 1980 CJ-5 is sitting idle in a barn at a buddy's house and he's itching to get the title. When life moves on and you get a nagging wife and a family, $hit changes. 

Very nice car !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 8:22 AM, SBARC said:

Wow very cool to see all your photos.  You had some fun memories with your Jeep.

Hello Steve, hello everyone,
Sorry to have taken so long to respond, but these past few days have been "complicated". My wife was hospitalized in an emergency and spent a week in the hospital. She has been at home for a few days now and her condition is gradually improving.
Oh yes, many memories in 35 years, sometimes sad, sometimes funny.
One day, I met a veteran who told me with tears in his eyes how he lost good friends when their vehicle exploded on a mine right in front of him.
Another day, we were returning from a trip with my wife. We decided to stop at a drive in for a meal. A beautiful young lady came to serve us. It was a beautiful and warm summer day, the windshield was lying on the engine cowling. Seeing the Jeep the waitress said to us: Wow nice car! Then, while preparing our order, she asked me a question, looking me straight in the eye, which left me speechless for a few seconds:
I soon finished my service, would it be possible to wait in the parking lot for a little trip?
It was then that I heard a voice coming from my right, the French equivalent of: what the f..k! I turned my head to my wife, she was staring at the waitress with eyes like ... a terminator!
To avoid a murder I quickly replied: sorry miss, it will not be possible
She replied with a big smile: it's a shame!
We left the drive in in a heavy silence but a few minutes later my wife yelled at me: stop smiling, it's not funny !!!!
Oh sorry honey, but yes, it was really funny

My Jeep, not my Sherman. I'm the guy on the far left. Oh my god, I was so young!

B69zwUp.jpg

My Jeep, not my P-51

QxS7s1n.jpg

My Jeep, not my T-6

x2TRKMj.jpg

6n9S5eu.jpg

On 6/17/2020 at 7:36 PM, skidbuggy said:

I can now say I’ve sold it😢

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Patnab - sorry you had to sell your jeep and hope it found a good new long-term steward!

I'm involved with the MVPA and there are a lot of people who dedicate a significant portion of their lives to the well-being of these historic vehicles. I thank you for sharing your photos and stories, as well as your vehicle, with the world while you were responsible for it.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 6:14 AM, Tracy White said:

Hey Patnab - sorry you had to sell your jeep and hope it found a good new long-term steward!

I'm involved with the MVPA and there are a lot of people who dedicate a significant portion of their lives to the well-being of these historic vehicles. I thank you for sharing your photos and stories, as well as your vehicle, with the world while you were responsible for it.

Hello Tracy, thank you for your kind words.

Yes, I think the new owner will take care of my Jeep. When he came to see the vehicle he was accompanied by two friends who were themselves collectors of military vehicles. It was obvious that they knew  the Jeeps perfectly well. They promised him that they would help him  get her back to perfect condition.
Here are the lasts photos shortly before the sale

EWDhCHD.jpg

0kgN8AI.jpg

YsnVSeX.jpg

Afficher plus
Afficher moins

• 2 weeks later...