1/48 Tamiya F-14D Super Tomcat VF-2

Hi all,

I am starting a new build - Tamiya 1/48 F-14D Tomcat VF-2, BuNo 163894.

AM-JKLVw2VYd1O2FryE_WyGZh_FhtyKNOZf2QWB6

AM-JKLV7Ubv2D0xIAbhBHbLJ_Bpi9cqZIOmaktji

What I am planning to use for this build:

Tamiya 1/48 Grumman F-14D Tomcat

Eduard Brassin 1/48 F-14D Cockpit

Eduard Brassin 1/48 F-14D Wheels

Eduard Brassin 1/48 AN/AAQ-13 LANTIRN pod

Eduard Brassin 1/48 AIM-9M/L Sidewinder

Eduard Brassin 1/48 GBU-12

Eduard Brassin 1/48 GBU-16

Kasl 1/48 F-14D Exhausts

Master 1/48 F-14 Pitot & AOA

SAC 1/48 Grumman F-14 Tomcat Landing Gear

Fightertown Decals Grumman Tomcat F-14A/F-14B/F-14D Data and Weapons

ACtC-3faO8Qmwncdbg7xFc1lJDD-lTrHYYPfMF1Q

ACtC-3dsQRRJqLuAa8Y0fohzrawkvMKp_myDCXAL

The cockpit and seats seem to be mostly done. Small mistakes here and there, but I guess I can live with that. I have to say I was quite impressed with the amount of detail the Eduard cockpit set has in this scale. Compared it to my previously done 1/32 F-14D cockpit, it is not that far off! Also the Fightertown Data & Weapons decals set provides lots of useful and detailed decals for the cockpit.

ACtC-3eFfc2CUan6xiFuVG17MiuSPYbJTqkoI6nA

ACtC-3dYCqm3Z2_2VI2fyM8QjthstokJgwvUIw0K

ACtC-3czfGc6mj3gEh3dT22jsvwS0IghZXDH586p

ACtC-3cJWca5kphMeovm4S9flLXex8jXSrLtk0M_

ACtC-3cb3w0HNHqwGCGOGdUDwbKjFaAvSOApYMVh

ACtC-3eaMEdciccC0qbSeL6YJ7LWw1lpHlJ1Wa0q

ACtC-3fpHA2U8HpTosIDdh3EKDgT_1FpxyicGL9e

ACtC-3d6ECX27Q6DzIcq89Z-xNmzouJqrn-wLLmv

Thanks for watching.

Tomas

Edited by tomfomes
4 hours ago, Fighter84 said:

Hi Thomas
nice paintjob!

to your questions

1. yes

2. Tomcats never used the AN/AAQ-13, only the AN/AAQ-25! The typical loadout at the last cruise 2005 was:
1x AN/AAQ-25
1x AIM-9
1x GBU-12 + 1x GBU-38 or 2x GBU-38

here some references

3. any type

cheers

Thanks for the answers! Looks like I will need to re-visit my list of items for this build. 🧐 I think I might go with 1x AN/ANQ-25, 1x AIM-9, 1x AIM-120, 1x GBU-12 & 1x GBU-38. That could be pretty realistic loadout? 

Here are few more photos of cockpit assembly and dry fitting:

ACtC-3fhw-xjCwohZuBVsXuQtUlgv-sOqdF1CrFE

ACtC-3fxkZ4lenrOYzEVfW9rCbVe37_6d8wjypXc

5yMekho8NSqPYVq2I2MmYrd3i1uk-SegHdbRTGYu

ACtC-3cVDX_sCl5BZKQhG2r8PKOENcm34vRz7xdD

ACtC-3edZerr0A0m7exNFklItSj3BhQWL8mD5bjc

ACtC-3eD692wJh8kAttjzlXSF-I23uJbHs98Ws__

ACtC-3c1DPklMH24YNSerOi8xzLedCRDgJ6Rwjtf

ACtC-3dJvQA_vi3E74HKQnnU0bor54xbpcG8NfQG

Thanks for watching.

Tomas

9 minutes ago, tomfomes said:

Thanks for the answers! Looks like I will need to re-visit my list of items for this build. 🧐 I think I might go with 1x AN/ANQ-25, 1x AIM-9, 1x AIM-120, 1x GBU-12 & 1x GBU-38. That could be pretty realistic loadout? 

Here are few more photos of cockpit assembly and dry fitting:

Thanks for watching.

Tomas

The Tomcat was not cleared to carry the AIM-120 operationally.

Sorry, I made a mistake! When I said AIM-120, I was actually thinking of the PHOENIX, which is AIM-54C. But looks like this one is also not realistic for the last cruise 😞

If I go for GBU-38, I see there are two types: thermally protected and non-thermally protected. I assume the thermally protected would be the choice for carrier use?

Out of curiosity, what is this red "item" you can see them carrying sometimes?

ACtC-3fAxE7v2QXwTnFoV6vNnpIKrvQe2CTLa4Qh

Thanks,

Tomas

Edited by tomfomes

Great start so far on the cockpit, just a FYI, the ejection seat pull rings between the seat should be a dirty orange with black stripes not yellow and black. 

I'm confused why you purchased all the extra items, the AIM-9's, LANTIRN pod ( which should be the AN/AAQ-25 as already stated ), Phoenix and, the GBU-16's when the kit already supplies those.

VF-31 and 213's jets were upgraded with the ROVER mod, during their last cruise, which enabled them to drop JDAMS, which is more likely the loadout and, they would be thermally coated.

The red "item" is actually painted International Orange and, it's called a ACMI pod, used to track the jet in the air. This would not be carried during war time missions, it would be used during workups and training missions only.

Good luck with the rest of your build, I'll be following along.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

3 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Great start so far on the cockpit, just a FYI, the ejection seat pull rings between the seat should be a dirty orange with black stripes not yellow and black. 

I'm confused why you purchased all the extra items, the AIM-9's, LANTIRN pod ( which should be the AN/AAQ-25 as already stated ), Phoenix and, the GBU-16's when the kit already supplies those.

VF-31 and 213's jets were upgraded with the ROVER mod, during their last cruise, which enabled them to drop JDAMS, which is more likely the loadout and, they would be thermally coated.

The red "item" is actually painted International Orange and, it's called a ACMI pod, used to track the jet in the air. This would not be carried during war time missions, it would be used during workups and training missions only.

Good luck with the rest of your build, I'll be following along.

Steve

Hi Steve,

thanks for info and also for the comment on ejection seat pull rings. I wasn't even thinking, just automatically went for yellow/black. I will fix this.

I knew all the items are already in the kit, but the reason I have bought the aftermarket items was that I wanted more detailed ones. I love the extra detail these aftermarket resin items have. Now most of them will have to wait for another build 🙂

I assume with the ROVER antenna on the right front pylon, they were still able to carry any of the mentioned GBUs. I will probably go for the following two, which should be GBU-12 on the left and thermally coated GBU-38 on the right if I'm right?

ACtC-3c0nbC-oI7WUl7FniPifKmooW0tjeooIqMg

Correct, GBU-12 and a GBU-31(V)2/B. I don't know if GBU-38's were available during OIF ? Just remember, the key to a great build is research.

Steve

TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

The orange pod is a AN/ASQ-40T LATR Pod. For the last Tomcat cruise, VF-31 and 213 were authorized to carried and employed the GBU-38(v)/B JDAM in addition to GBU-31(v)/B JDAM.

The Rover Antenna had nothing to do with JDAM, it allowed ground forces (FAC) to see what the aircraft was seeing in real time.

All bomb bodies will be thermally protected (TP), non-thermally protected bombs are not authorized onboard ships.

The SJU-17's used in the F-14D had yellow/black ejection handles, the one in the DACO book is from a F-18 (I have no idea why they are different).

hth

GW

33 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

The orange pod is a AN/ASQ-40T LATR Pod. For the last Tomcat cruise, VF-31 and 213 were authorized to carried and employed the GBU-38(v)/B JDAM in addition to GBU-31(v)/B JDAM.

The Rover Antenna had nothing to do with JDAM, it allowed ground forces (FAC) to see what the aircraft was seeing in real time.

All bomb bodies will be thermally protected (TP), non-thermally protected bombs are not authorized onboard ships.

The SJU-17's used in the F-14D had yellow/black ejection handles, the one in the DACO book is from a F-18 (I have no idea why they are different).

hth

GW

Good to know GW, thanks for the clarification.

Steve

Thank you all for nice comments.

I have another question, which I can't figure out:

On some photos of the right side of nose gear bay I can see just these cables:

ACtC-3ehcKKSgT1XCbDQxWsbHsBnovdY-cMeAji9

And on some other photos, I can see these additional "instruments":

ACtC-3cloKTdCTSSu2lw4Sq3DQskV37waYR0m156

Which one belongs to the F-14D version, i.e. which one should I go for?

Thanks for help!

Productive weekend! The nose gear bay is done, here are few photos:

ACtC-3d5FDqrZk7XMV_8yQtduKq05z3XiHDJKi03

ACtC-3ejHwfyJsGslvM4RML3j4z9TPawi5Tg5EYE

ACtC-3den0fi302G4YYAQ_D42w7vOXg6OY34pMg1

ACtC-3f_z2ZIx9xc4uCXgdxYRyKY0J4hKTq4Lt0N

ACtC-3eZzk8dXJjz7iuj8D8qy6oeS_jZvGZPp7n-

ACtC-3dIpzwhgkYa5GCqIH3dGjper9y3IvD3370a

ACtC-3eCpxsVAI-453B09iJj3jqUYAJjWJQcxyU-

I have also corrected the color of ejection seat straps. The original photo etched parts color seemed too light green compared to the real thing.

ACtC-3dq8s0IxY2GIAcrILiQgFhETvHHBUO7X1DP

• tomfomes changed the title to 1/48 Tamiya F-14D Super Tomcat VF-2